HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A different Gary

You'd rather not...

... work with who?

If you've had some bad agents before, or know a horror story about an agent, who is it?

I want to avoid others mistakes if I can. Post under a fake name if you need to, I suppose. If you fear retribution.

I think it's good to share this type of info; people can still make their own decision but it gives them a heads up.

Tere

Re: You'd rather not...

Gary,
    If you are looking to avoid bad agents, just stay away from the ones who are not recommended on P&E. I've found that the same agents are mentioned across the various writers websites. There are tons of stories already on the net, and I doubt that anyone here would give you a comprehensive list of who to avoid (there are just too many bad ones!) Good luck in your search!

A different Gary

Well we've had quite the storyline about one "uber agent" who everyone seems to want but is a butthead. He's probably not listed as "Not Rec" on P&E, so that list may not be all inclusive.

Wonky

I think he's asking for stories about agents who were difficult to work with, not total sleazebags like Melanie Mills.

A different Gary

Yes, that would be perfect. Unlike the other thread, I'm looking for stories with names

Minnie Mouse

I reported my "bad agent" story to Writers Beware. Just make sure you look on P&E and check with Writers Beware before you accept an offer.

A different Gary

People don't like to name names, do they?

scribbler2

Gary, agents have occasionally popped in here to say they were not pleased with having their names dragged through the mud. (See recent thread with a particular YA agent.) And with some justification. Unless we're talking about known, named fee-charging agents who don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, this is a tricky area. The agent/author relationship is very subjective. Authors can (and do) have totally different relationships with the same agent - an author who has sold quickly and made her agent a ton of money may call her a "darling," while another author who hasn't sold, and finds herself dealing with "darling's" assistant almost exclusively, will have quite a different take on the situation. Yet this agent has done nothing wrong or professionally dubious, even if one author has had a trying experience with her. It wouldn't be fair to name names in this case, which is why I doubt you'll get many takers on this thread.

Ed Potter

People don't name names because different writers like agents who work in different ways. For every agent who isn't universally disliked (and hence not recommended on P&E), there are writers who like that agent's style and writers who do not.

Further, how a writer handles a project depends heavily on that project. Some projects have more potential than others, and some projects are more time-sensitive than others.

If I were to say, "Agent Yankerwicz was a jerk to me. He sent me a contract two weeks after I sent him my full and told me he knew just who would buy it. After three months it hadn't sold, and I asked him what we should do. He told me he didn't think there was a market for it anymore and said he'd send it to any publisher I wanted him to, but he wasn't going to actively push it since nobody wanted it. What a poop head!"

Writer #2 would turn around and say, "Really, Ed? Well Yankerwicz is my agent right now and he's been agressively pushing my book for nine months. He's given me suggestions that I found invaluable for a complete rewrite. He's read the rewrite and he's really charged about it. He's sending it out to a dozen publishers, including some of the ones who rejected the old version! He believes in my rewrite that much!!!! I guess your project just didn't excite him after the initial idea."

Ed Potter

Ladies, we need to cut back on the Vulcan Mind Melds or something.