HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Upset

Ed Potter

Re: Legally puzzled

No term? 1 year, two years... No out clause and no term? Find somebody with a seber to rattle for you, man.

toni

get a lawyer.

Ed Potter

saber saber saber... spelling!

blipperton

Imperial Agent

Your agent is an imperial ****, and needs to be brought down hard and fast. If I were you, I would dump her immediately, get a better agent, sell my book for big money, get a bunch of publicity on myself, then send this loser all of my clippings, a copy of the check, and an inscribed volume that says "You are one hell of a loser excuse for an agent."

After that, I would get nasty.

Mareeshka

Re: Imperial Agent

Sounds like a plan.

A different Gary

I like your idea blipperton, but I don't know that I can drop her immediately. With no out clause I'm seemingly in a pickle.

Lois

Ed -- Sorry, I read the original post too fast or my medications got the best of my brain. Agree with the certified snail mail. Lois

Claire

Re: Legal Opinions

I'm not a legal expert, but I think Grogan is right. Don't overestimate the power of the contract. Think of it this way, the only way the agent can enforce the contract is to sue. She can't sue you unless she spends money out of her own pocket to sue. Why on earth would she bother to do that over a property that currently has zero value to her because she was unable to sell it. If you have any lawyer friends, run this by them, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Mary M.

Re: Legal Opinions

The agent is contacting you only when she has something to say because, quite literally, those are the only times she has something to say.

She seems unconcerned about your position.

Define the duration of your contract, plus the manner in which either/both of you can termiante it, then decide what you want to say when you contact her -- by email or snail mail (with date, etc. on document).

Be professional, but firm.

Good luck!