HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Upset

A different Gary

Upset

I'm upset with my agent! She has had my non-fic proposal for months, keeps saying there is interest and it is on submission to all sorts of editors, but then I hear nothing. "We'll have it sold in a week," I've heard half a dozen times now over the course of six months. It isn't that it isn't selling that's upsetting me, I can accept that, what pisses me off is that I email and ask a simple question and never get a reply. I'm not being kept up on who is interested and who is rejecting, and when I ask she ignores it. The only time I hear from her is when SHE has something to say, never when I want to know something.

Flossy the Flute

Re: Upset

that sounds frustrating and since I have next to no experience I can't really help...but I read once (think it was somewhere on this forum) that when you sign with an agent you can write into your agrement monthly updates...is this commonly done? and how receptive are agents to this idea?

Flossy

Mareeshka

Are you sure this agent is legit? Sounds fishy.

Mary Hall

Sounds like dumpin' time.

Ed Potter

Re: Unload

Repeatedly claiming that it'll sell within a week sounds like a cross between an agent and the stereotypical used-car salesman.

A different Gary

I am very upset, and agent is AAR so definitely legit. Will definitely dump if my book ever sells, won't be working with her after this.

Problem is there is nothing in my conract that says I can get out. No 30 or 90 day written notice, nothing.

Mareeshka

This sounds really bad, Gary. Have you considered calling up and demanding some answers?

Have you checked this agent's sales record?

Amanda Avutu

I think before you do anything, you should express your concerns to the agent. If you canít get her on the phone, send her an e-mail or a formal letter. I realize that it might be hard to get her attention, but it seems to me that the first step here is to voice your discontent. You need for her to know just how unhappy you are.

A different Gary

Everytime I call no one answers, I have left several unreturned messages. I have sent a couple of emails, polite yet firm, and still nothing when it comes to me asking what the heck is up.

Mary Hall

I would advise sending her a sort of "do-or-die" email outlining all of your concerns, and requesting that she call you at her earliest possible convenience. Her response to this should tell you a lot.