HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Good Rejections

Ames

Re: Fascination with Blip

I figure the sentiment is just some ying to counterbalance a lot of yang in this thread ;-)

Yup, we're in agreement here.

My own teaching style *is* to be tough on my students at times...so I do understand where you're coming from on not simply coddling people. I firmly believe in taking responsiblity for oneself, and I accept nothing less from my students. I've had a few students who absolutely detested me as a result. However, as a teacher, I also try to raise the bar in such a way that encourages people to stretch, rather than to run screaming from the lesson. You can be incredibly demanding of people while simultaneously making it safe for the student to wobble a bit in their early attempts to meet those demands.

Ames

Hamish (WritersNet)

Moderator's Perspective

For the record: "I just don't think he's too bright..." is name calling in my book. Anyone reading this directed at them will respond unfavourably. It's like the "you're an idiot if you think" construction that always causes trouble.

Acceptable: "I think you are wrong because..." "I think your perspective is wrong because..."

Unacceptable: "You aren't too bright." "You're dumb."

Hamish
    WritersNet

Brady Boyd

Re: Moderator's Perspective

Thanks, Hamish, you are correct.

Blip, I apologize for the remark.

Brady Boyd

Jane Forsman

I bet you're a wonderful teacher with an attitude like that, Ames. What level of education do you teach? College, high school? I had a wonderful English teacher my senior year in high school who really, truly, greatly, wonderfully inspired me and taught me how to show my work to others and not tremble too badly in my boots. I think he was the first person who gave me a much-needed spurt of confidence in my work. There are plenty of people along the way who will tear you down, but very few who will encourage you with honesty and kindness.

Ames

I taught undergrads and grad students back in the day when I was a grad student myself (in Ecology...not English, but teaching principles are universal). Now I've had the occasion to train new people into various jobs and processes at work. And I've taught a lot of people how to succeed at a treatment protocol for fibromyalgia.

So teaching isn't the main focus of my job now, but I seem to be a teacher by nature. You know that saying "When the student is ready, the teacher appears?" I often run into students who are ready ;-)

Ames

Jane Forsman

Hehe, glad to hear it.