HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Rejections

PamC

Good Rejections

****Disclaimer**** This is a 'feel good' post. I KNOW that Blip and others feel that Rejections are nothing but bad, that it's a black and white thing. Spare us your vitriol....this is directed to the glass half full folk...so humor us.

In my chapter newsletter, there was a great article on rejections. Maybe it's because I'm a salesperson, or just optimistic (sometimes foolishly so...), but I have always felt that every NO gets you closer to a sale.

Publishing IS a numbers game.

Sometimes, when you are rejected, it's not because your writing is 'not good enough', it's because they just bought a similar story.

A "Good" rejection, is when they say, "This story/article doesn't work for me, but I like your writing, send me something else."

Some 'statistics'

Louis L'Amour--received 350 rejections before making his first sale.

John Grisham--received rejections from 15 publishers and 30 agents on his first novel, A TIME TO KILL.

Jack London--received 600 rejections before he sold his first story.

Mary Higgins Clark--received 40 rejections before making her first sale.

Many writers don't sell their first book. But, they keep going, and might sell their third, or fourth.

They learn from their mistakes, and keep getting better.

So, what does a rejection really mean?

It means NOT RIGHT NOW. KEEP GOING. GET BETTER. SUBMIT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BUY IT.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!

PamC

George

Re: Good Rejections

Jack London had 600 rejections? Okay I feel better now. I am closing the gap, about another 545 more rejections before I am tied with him. He had some faith in his writing to keep going after the first 100 rejections.

Thanks Pam, I am sure those rejection numbers will be uplifting to most.

George

Niniver

Thank you, Pam, for making me feel better.
    N

Jo

My novel was rejected about a year ago from someone asking for a full ms. I didn't send out further queries but went back to work on my rewrites. I'm so glad for it, forcing me to bring it to a higher level.

Roy Abrahams

Pam.....great job on a positive approach. Posts such as yours go a long way to keeping spirits up; we can don sack cloth and ashes and carry "the end is near" signs up and down main street or we can look at the overall picture as you have and spread the word that the end is *not* near.

Read the biographies and autobiographies of successful men and women and you will not find one who concentrated on the negative aspects of whatever course they chose in life. Does that tell us something?

Of course it does.

Thnks again.......Roy

PamC

I'm so glad you liked that post! I really do believe that if you want something badly enough, and do what it takes to get there, you will.

Persistence is key in this business.

Many people give up after a few rejections.

Others keep going, and make their own luck.

Cheers to lots of good luck for all of us in 2004!

PamC

Lara

hear hear!!!

blipperton

I don't see why anybody here considers me a pessimist. I am an optimist, for all the reasons Pam gave in her post, and many more.

I think some people here might be projecting their own failures onto me, and then reacting negatively. But in fact I have had nothing at all to do with these people's failures.

Everything I have ever posted here is a message of hope for the talented writer.

Key word: Talented.

If you don't have any talent--and most people trying to write don't in fact have any, not a bit--you can read Pam's post every minute for the rest of your life and it won't do you one dollop of good.

Lara

Hey Now Blip...

Let's be real here. Optimist my eye. Every time I read one of your posts I want to reach for one of my "happy pills". I think you have extensive knowledge and very valuable opinions, but the attitude with which you express them is downright depressing. You call it "eye opening", I call it disheartening. Maybe if you lightened up a little you'd have more positive responses to your opinions. But I think you'd rather "stir the pot" than help. Or is it just me?

PamC

Blip,

"If you don't have any talent--and most people trying to write don't in fact have any, not a bit--you can read Pam's post every minute for the rest of your life and it won't do you one dollop of good."

That should go without saying don't you think? Kind of obvious......

PamC