HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Minnie Mouse

Re: Differences

Gary, no I didn't do my own copyright. The XLibris letters were "personalized" and told me where they got my email address. I got two spam emails from them: one citing my appearance on the "Novelist Mug Shots" Web site kept by a member of my other writing group (incidentally, it's the one to which John Blumenthal belongs), and the other cited my own Web site, which has a "Sara's Books" page. I think they have a program that trawls for pages that contain writing-related words and email addresses.

Gary Kessler

MM: Very interesting. Thanks for the information. This, of course, is evidence that they are hurting for business.

M.J. Rose

Acutally Gary your name sounds really familiar. And obviously you read that Salon article. It was hysterical to see the book coming under the partition.

One thing about Bookscan - even though its not perfect - publishers are using it. Esp when they consider taking an author from another house. Up till now there was no way for those publishers to find any sales figures from an independent source - so a 70% number is at least indicitive of something.

Gary Kessler

M.J.: Yeah, I saw the Salon article--but I think you said something about it in another venue I was in as well. I do seem to remember the electronic publishing conference session where I thought they'd have to call in the cops for you even to make it out of the hall to the ladies room (I can remember you keep asking the moderator if there wasn't supposed to be a lunch break now or something).

On Bookscan: As you say, you use what you gotta use, and that's closer to usefulness than anything we've had before. The $30,000 annual subscription you cite, of course, cuts it down to few users (sort of wonder who can afford that outside of associations). Of course we all know that publishers use what and as it serves their interests--and why should they be any different than any other business?

Minnie Mouse

Oh! Oh!

Blip, I just read your post on HC and no editing. I got FANTASTIC editing support from HC. Never mind the substantive editing--which was bang on--I also had an excellent copyeditor, whose changes I had the choice of approving or not approving, and then a proofread, after which I was again sent the manuscript to look at. I noticed that on the list of things to do, there were another two passes of proofreaders listed.

I not only can't complain about the editing support I've received, I commend it.

blipperton

Re: Oh! Oh!

That's great, Minnie. Now why don't you get ahold of Dr. Laura's "10 Stupid Things Men Do," published by HC, and edit that. It really needs it.

Minnie Mouse

Blip, I don't doubt for a minute that you're right about Dr. Laura's book, and I also don't know how to explain the different treatments our books (hers and mine) received. I just thought I should chime in that HC did me proud.

Brady Boyd

I like what Donald Maass has to say about advances:

<http://www.maassagency.com/lookfor.html>

Brady Boyd

Robert Raven

I've been away from this thread a few days, but feel a need to reply to this from Gollardeys:

(Oh dear, what a wearying thread. Am I the only one round here who writes because he has to and because he loves to?

I know I will be jeered for this, but does money matter?)

Well, yeah, some. But what matters a lot more for me, and I suspect for a lot of people frequenting this board, is to get work decently and respectably published. That may or may not translate into significant money; but it does translate into validation and credibility for what one does. It translates into accomplishment. It is tangible. And the developments discussed here concerning the publishing industry are making that accomplishment less and less attainable every day.

RR

Mark Bastable

Hello, Nora.

Minor British author here. No, Blipperton is not me, though I would be fascinated to know what resemblance you detected.