HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mark

Re: How many pages equals words?

250 words a page is only the guideline for proper manuscript formatting.

Gary Kessler

She asked for an estimated published page count, not a manuscript page count.

Nate Newton

Actually, what I was asking was more like this: a 120,000ish word novel would be about how many pages long both in hardback and in paper?

Ed Potter

Depends on stylistic decisions by the publisher, out of the writer's control. They might put it in a tiny, narrow font and crunch it down to 256 pages, or they might use a massive 18pt. Courier and go with 1028. Gary answered your question: there is no hard-and-fast answer.

Mark

"She asked for an estimated published page count, not a manuscript page count."

Uh, yeah, we all understand.

Ed Potter

You don't have to be snarky, Mark. We all didn't understand, at least not clear as crystal. PamC asked if there was a difference b/w MS and published, and Shirley also didn't know they were different. Gary wasn't condescending your answer, he was indicating the difference b/w publishing and the 250 words/page estimates. At worst, he was re-emphasizing your point.

Gary Kessler

Yes, she asked what I said she asked, and I and others gave the answer--more than once. Anyone for a game of Ring around the Rosey? Pretty soon we're going to have more dialogue here on Nate's rewrite than she has in her rewrite.

Shirley

lol..Well Gary a pocket full of posies...

so you are saying in reference to my Oh Lord. If my manuscript at an estimated 250 words a page is, let's say, 350 pages, then in a book with smaller print it would be less pages?

ashes, ashes....