HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nate Newton

How many pages equals words?

Hi everyone:

What I'm wondering is (since I'm doing this big rewrite for an editor my agent hooked me up with) how many published pages equals a particular word count?

For example, my rewrite is weighing in at 127,000 words, and I was wondering how pages that would be say if it was in hardcover or paperback?

I'll bet Gary knows, Gary?

Nate

Minnie Mouse

Re: How many pages equals words?

Yikes. Big, I'd say. My final ms was 97,000 words and my ARC came in at 388 pages paperback. Smallish font, too.

Gary Kessler

The guestimate I've been using is 340 words/final page, but I just had a manuscript go across my desk that is going to designed to run at 400 words/final page--so there's a wide variation in what it could be.

Minnie Mouse

Yes, I tend to write short paragraphs and scenes, so mine might have come in with a large-ish page count.

pamC.

Dialogue makes a big difference too. If you have a lot of it, you'll have more pages, and more white space.

I'd always heard they estimate about 250 words/page....but that is referring to manuscript form. Is it completely different when you transfer to a printed book?

Mags

Nate ... for a typical hard-cover trim size of 6 1/4 by 9 1/8 with an easy-to-read open design, I come up with the following:

page with mostly narrative, not much white space: 390 words
    page with mostly dialogue, some narrative: 325 words

Hope this helps.

Mags

Casey

Very helpful, Mags. Thanks!

Casey

Gary Kessler

I guess my response wasn't understood: the design decisions made for the book can significantly affect how many words there will be on the page. Mags's response falls within the bounds of what I've experienced thus far (and is very close to what I already gave here).

Incidentally, "pages" don't really count. What counts are signatures, which are 32-page sets of pages. Production can add in a half-signature section (16 pages) or a quarter-signature section (8 pages), but in their design, the production people have to hit at or just under a signature count for total pages in the book. (Among other things, this can cause overall page counts to go up and down, as adjustments have to be made to hit a signature count.)

Dennis

My book came out to 312 pages in final book format. It was given to them as a 82,369 Word file. And they used a lot of large photos too, so it takes a lot of text. We did add some more at the end. It's a top-ten in non-fiction (Sunday NYT this weekend at #8, and on their web site now). Whhoooo!

Shirley

Oh Lord..I thought it was 250 words a page too.