HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Goldie

"...and the wait is on"

Hi,

I recently got a pretty well-known NY agent (I REALLY lucked out) to represent my non-fiction book proposal (this is my first book).

I received an email from my agent and she told me she had lunch with a few editors, and 4 of the editors requested to see my proposal -- and that they seemed "very interested."

She sent all the proposals out today (this afternoon).

She said she would update me if, or when, anything happens.

My question is: based on your experience, once an editor requests a book proposal, and knows other editors are looking as well, within what time frame should I expect a decision from the editor?

A day -- A few days -- A week???

Thanks...

scribbler2

Re: "...and the wait is on"

Goldie, just read a lot of the more recent posts here, including the one called "Insomniacs Anonymous." You'll find that a lot of us are in this stage of our career - waiting to hear from editors. Although the majority of people who've posted their experiences lately are fiction writers - I don't know if the waiting game is different for non-fiction.

Goldie

I read those other posts -- wow!

I also wonder if things are different for a non-fiction book proposal vs. a fiction MS.

For one thing, my proposal is only about 50 pages -- easy and quite to read.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks...

DK

We all hear stories about projects moving at light speed (or at "cyber-speed" as Johnny Appleseed is so fond of saying), but I think these stories do us more harm than good. Your own peace of mind would be better served by realizing that, as a rule, this is one of the slowest-moving industries out there. Everything takes so much more time than you expect (or think it should) and there's nothing you can do about it. At every stage of this process, everybody seems to think that (for them) it will only take a few days, or maybe a few weeks, but it almost always takes longer (usually a LOT longer).

Resign yourself to a long wait, find something else to take your mind off the waiting, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens quickly. You'll live longer that way.

DK

Johnny Appleseed

font color=blue>

DK, thanks for the mention but please don't lead goldie astray here...

once the proposal is in the editor's hands with non-fiction, things typically move quite swiftly if there is real interest...

if your agent is following up with calls and the editors know others are interested, your agent may be given expressions of interest, if not offers, within a few days...some may be ready to make an offer within a week, others may need to take longer in bringing it before an editorial committee...but within a couple of weeks your agent should have a good idea of their willingness to make an offer, which may or may not be an offer that you would seriously consider...

much of the "front" work should have already been done by the agent, which means things move faster by the time they actually get the proposal in their hands.

remember, editors may "love" your proposal but not be able to sell it to their editorial committee so don't take expressions of interest to seriously..."show me the offer"
    is what the focus needs to be...

non-fiction doesn't require the long wait because easier to read and make decision on...

Jonathan

I just entered this stage myself, so I don't have much to say yet. But congrats on landing an agent -- that, too, is a big accomplishment.

Goldie

thanks, all...