HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: &&**%%##

Critical

&&**%%##

I give up! Two rejections in one week? I go now to torch my manuscripts and flush myself down the bowl. Anyone want to join me?

Karyn M.

Re: &&**%%##

Only two??!!

Although I sympathize, I have to tell you that I (and I'm sure many others on this board) have you beat. On the up side, shortly after I received a slew of rejections I got a phone call from an agent who liked my manuscript, but didn't think it was marketable as it stood. She made several suggestions, all of which I agreed with, and I'm in the process of revising. No guarantees, but she wants me to get back to her when I'm finished, so I'm hopeful.

My point, I guess, is that this is a lengthy process and it's bound to get disheartening. BUT--you can't succeed unless you keep going.

So hang in there and keep the faith.

Karen Dionne

Here's a nice article on the realities of dealing with rejections. BTW - the author gives us permission to cuss. :-)

http://www.booktalk.com/Column6.html

Karen

Lawrence

What? Two rejections in one week? Why, when I was getting ready to go to the prom, I had at least a half dozen rejections the first day. (rim shot)

But seriously, folks, the list of well-known, highly successful works that were rejected repeatedly have been well trotted out here. Do not despair. Never, ever give up.

Lawrence

John Wagner

It was an interesting essay -- thanks for posting the link. I can only hope the author is right. 'Cause it suuuuure can get discouraging.

Gary Kessler

Of course, if you do just give up, it will leave a lot more room for those who didn't. Woudn't that &&**%%## you off?

Jonathan

So true, Gary!

After a while, I tried to see rejections as a *good* thing (hard to do, I know). With each rejection of my ms. came suggestions, and I used those to make my novel better.

And if that mentality doesn't work for you, then tell yourself that they're idiots and you'll laugh at them when you're a success...

Critical

Thanks guys. I feel better now. Instead of flushing myself, I'm going to stand in front of the mirror and practice nose thumbing which (as I once before said) I plan to do to all the rejecting agents when I appear on Good Morning America to promote my book. Oh Yes, and when practice is done, I'm going to do some writing!!!!!

Lois

I once received 12 rejections in one day. Those were on various short stories. I've learned not to get discouraged. Instead, I mutter and yammer a bit then resend whatever was rejected somewhere else. About 9 of those stories sold. So keep at it!

M T

I was rejected by the same publisher twice ... in the same week ... for the same manuscript!!!

I lived in a rural area where I had to go about 1/2 mile to get my mail at the post office. I was expecting a letter, so I phoned the postal worker asking if there was anything in my mailbox. She described a letter from the publisher who had already sent me a rejection letter three days before. Well! I thought, they must have changed their mind! Since we had no gas, I rode my bike, careening down the logging roads, my hair flying, my eyes streaming from the wind ... only to come to an abrupt and skidding halt (nearly sailing headfirst over the handlebars) when a rubber tie that had been attached to the carrier came loose and became hopelessly caught in the spokes of the back tire. After half an hour of swearing, my hands were covered with black grease (can't have too much oil on those bicycle tires!) but I finally wrenched the thing out. Straddling my bike again, I resumed my journey and eventually arrived at the post office. My blackened, smelly hand extracted the letter from my mailbox, opened it and found ... a rejection letter.

I guess that publisher wanted to make sure I got the message!