HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alison Picard

Lea

Alison Picard

Alison Picard, agent, has requested my MS. I stupidly sent the query without checking her out on P&E. Now that I have checked her out, I see that she is not recommended. But Guide to Literary Agents doesn't show her as charging a fee. Has anyone had any dealings with this agent? Is P&E accurate in their assessments? What exactly is meant by "not recommended"?

Thanks in advance

A.C.Crispin

Re: Alison Picard

Alison Picard doesn't charge a reading fee, but she does promote her own editing service at $3.00 per page. She did a lot of Edit Ink referrals, back before they got busted, but Writer Beware hasn't heard of anything like that since Edit Ink went down.

She's not a top tier agent, but she does have a record of sales to paying publishers...not a lot, but some.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.sfwa.org/beware

Becky

She asked for my whole manuscript and then wanted money from me. I would have been happier if she had asked for a few sample chapters. I could have saved money on photocopying and postage before telling her where to go. Forget her. You'll also find other postings on here about her from other people she's tried to scam. And even if Edit Ink is out of business, as for any agent who worked with, once a crook....

I Am a Great Writer

She was my first agent, many years ago. She's kind of a "starter agent" for people who aren't good enough yet to get a top agent. There's no shame in that--writing is always a process. She did not sell any of my work, but I was just a 27-year-old kid at that point and, as I say, not yet a very good writer. She never charged me a fee of any kind, and she got my work read by dozens of top editors in New York--I still have all of these long letters from vice presidents at S&S and such. It was an educational experience, and I do not regret having her as an agent during some of my formative years. One bad thing--I recommended a friend to her once, and she sold HIS name to a book doctor. She never sold my name, but she sold his, and believe me he was pissed. Apparently her policy is to treat you not-quite-so-well if she doesn't like your writing. Hell, that's every agent's policy.

Later a top agent saw one of my stories in a top magazine and contacted me--that's my advice for getting an agent, check your mailbox every day! He offered to represent me and sold my first novel in twelve days for fifty grand. Then he and I had a falling out and I am now dealing with yet a third agent.

Having an agent is like being married. It can be beneficial, though it often doesn't last. Alison Picard isn't a bad first date if she respects you enough to not make you pay for everything. Get what you can out of her while you can, but don't expect her to put out just cause you paid for dinner.

Brian__Cali

Re: Sorta I Am A Great Writer but...

Maybe so I AM A GREAT WRITER--but for my money if you can go to a publisher directly to get your foot in the door bypassing agents altogether, and THEN down the road get an agent if warranted that's the better route--At least that's the road I'm on. Bottomline though is if your stuff is good SOMEONE will sit up and take notice. Here's to all of us producing good stuff!

brian

Brian__Cali

Re: BTW--Responding to GREAT WRITER not calling my

Hey all--just using the nic this guy favors to respond to him. Not calling myself that!

brian

nic.h

Humility, dear Brian

We know you're too modest for that Brian. (Ironically, you're one of the few soon-to-be-published writers here!)

Best,
    nic.h

Brian__Cali

Re: Humility, dear Brian

Thanks Nic--I was just looking at my initial posting as it appears and it said "Sorta I'm a Great Writer" and since I have been out of town I thought hmmm...better make sure

brian