HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Marva L. Dowdin

Seeking and choosing an agent

Charles: Please check out the previous messages on many of these listings, you will find several sites for posting or placing ads. Go all the way back to the first messages and read the information. Marva

Daniel Johnston

After mailing query letters, one agent requested my manuscript in Courier Format with no more than 250 words per page. Another agent told me that this is a probable attempt to scan and steal my manuscript. Can someone help me? What do you know about Erica Books? DFJOHNST@aol.com

Tim Patterson

I recently sent query letters to four agents. All of them asked for full copies of the manuscript. I sent out the packages with return postage. I've heard back from none of them, and I've got nothing back in the mai. Where did I go wrong? - Tim Patterson

Sal Harmon Gritz

I wrote a novel; political intrigue. First time writer. Undoubtedly needs refining, and I seek a legitimate agent. I'm not a kid and think I have a hot story. Is there an agent looking for a Tom Clancy (I also sell insurance).I will not remit entire mss, or anything, without first knowing about recipient, and references. Homony@aol.com

Robynn Clairday

Sal, I'd spend the time and energy refining your script first. Believe me, you may very well be the next Clancy, but editors and agents are very quick to judge and discard new writers' manuscripts. Make yours shine, and you'll get the attention you deserve. I'd buy a few books on grammar, style and revising. It may take you longer, but you're much more likely to get a contract if you present a clean, professional, polished script. Be careful of agents who may approach you with advice to go to certain "book doctors". There are some agents who work with a company called Edit Ink, who has a very, very bad rep. Good luck, Robynn

Robynn Clairday

Tim, how long as it been since you've mailed out your scripts? You may just need to be patient. Agents can take up to 3-4 months, and longer! However, after three months, I might follow up with a polite note of inquiry. Good luck, Robynn

Irene Hashimoto

Dear CyberAgents: I have sold a concept to Bandai Digital Entertainment [the Power Ranger people, bought Sega recently]. They want to see more: illustrations, story board, summary, market research. Am getting ready to do a major presentation to their management with all their wants. I think it's time for me to find an agent to represent me in what could become an interactive game/story/webzine with feature animation and animated TV series potential. I need an intellectual property attorney with CD-ROM or interactive media background as well. The project manager loves the concept and is ready to go to bat for me. She's already lining up game programmers. I think it has a universal appeal as big as Super Mario. Also have three feature film concepts I'm pitching all over Hollywood. Please contact me ASAP at ninjadiver@aol.com or call and leave message at (714) 832-1313. Irene Hashimoto, Tustin, CA

Ruth Renee'

I'm a non-published writer of fiction stories (Adult/African-American Interest), and I am looking for an agent. My only problem is this: I still do not have a copyright on any of my work. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

U.S.A.F.Retired Major Joseph J. Del'M

I am not a professional writer, but my wife bought me a PC, and I started using it by writing my autobiography about my training and experiences as a Bombardier- Navigator during World War II, vividly describing the 35 combat bombing missions I flew in a B-17 aircraft. I have since finished it at 301 pages and have entitled it "BAPTISM OF WAR". The story is as much about my wife as it is about me, for throughout it all, I have woven many intimate, personal, tender, love scenes that was the inspiration for me to go on. I also expound on mankind's propensity to war, and the need for our country to maintain an adequate armed force, that is ever-vigilant, lest we imperil our future. In order for me to get my book published, I am in dire need of a knowledgeable Literary Agent, which for me has been no small endeavor. Because of my age and my declining health,this undoubtedly will be the beginning and end of my writing career. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thank you.

Marva L. Dowdin

Daniela; That is the standard (250) words per page. Keep looking for a reputable agent. Tim: Sometimes it takes a few weeks or months on a reply from a publisher or an agent. Sal: Send out queries only. Expect to get many rejections, but don't give up. Irene: Good luck. Check literary agent listings in The Literary Market Place and The Writer's Market listing. Good luck. To all new writers: To protect your new manuscripts, it only takes the time for you to send in your manuscript to The Copyright Office in Washington, D. C. and $20. to keep from someone stealing it. Marva