HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Marva L. Dowdin

Finding the right agent

Peter: From my own personal experience, some agents prefer you to let them know who has received your queries. If you prefer to send to only one agent at a time, then sometimes you can wait for a long time. While others are understanding knowing that other agents are receiving your queries. It's up to you, but I would continue to send out as many as possible. However, be aware of fee charging agents. I found a wealth of information right here on WritersNet. Also keep careful records of each query that you have sent out and when you received their replies, then date them and put them up for safe keeping. You may have to refer to them at a later date. Also keep extra copies of your manuscript and disks with some off-site. In case of a disaster. Marva

Patrick O

Finding the right agent

Marva: You're sounding more and more like a pro!

Marva L. Dowdin

Finding the right agent

Patrick O. I have received enough query rejections and offers from fee charging agents; I think I have a ways to go yet. (Smile) Marva

cathy lipski

Finding the right agent

I am new to the internet and to writing. I have always loved to write short stories and poems for children . I would love to be able to publish my work, but I am not sure how to go about it in a proper and professional manner and I am not certain on the methods for obtaining an appropriate agent. I would love to receive some advise and ideas. Cathy L.

Majida Ahmad

Finding the right agent

I have written a cookbook, containing Middle Eastern and Asian dishes, which I would like to get published. Do I have to have an agent? How do I find out about the agents who would be interested in marketing it?

Majida Ahmad

Finding the right agent

I have written a cookbook, containing Middle Eastern and Asian dishes, which I would like to get published. Do I have to have an agent? How do I find out about the agents who would be interested in marketing it? My own credentials are, briefly: I have produced and presented two series of cooking programmes in English language; I am an experienced food writer, having written a weekly column in the the Gulf Mirror for two years. I have also writtne cookbooks containg Middle Eastern recipes for Moulined - the French household appliance company.

Marva L. Dowdin

Finding the right agent

Cathy, first check out the listings for your work in the Literary Market Place and other literary books on non-fee charging agents and publishers at your library. Some of these books even give the formats for whatever you are writing. I will be glad to help you as much as I can. I can be contacted at mdowdin@citynet.net Good Luck! Marva Majida, the Literary Market Place has listings for publishers, who publish cook books. It also list agents, who represent cook books. Try to find those who do not charge fees. I found one publisher on the Internet. They are Taunton Press Publishers (www.taunton.com/index.html) I am sure there are other cook book publishers on the Internet. I can be reached at mdowdin@citynet.net Good Luck! Marva

Marva L. Dowdin

Finding the right agent

Cathy and Majida: There is also a listing of agents on the other part of WritersNet called The Internet Directory of Literary Agents, where you can search. Good luck to you both. Marva

cathy lipski

Finding the right agent

Marva, Thank you for your advise, it will be very helpful. Cathy

Charles J. Hebert

Finding the right agent

Peter: The reason Agents want you to send your work to them exclusively is that they spend so much time reading so many bad manuscripts that when they finally read a marketable one, they want to make sure that they are going to represent it. An agent of some fame once told me that his only real commodity was his time and that if he was going to invest a couple of days of it in my manuscript, he wanted to make absolutely certain that he would get the book if he liked it. I have a question for you guys: When do you know that it's time to change agents? Mine has not sold anything for me in 2 1/2 years, I ended up selling my novel through contacts that I had with a publisher. She has my subsequent works and assures me that she is diligently trying to sell them, but still no luck. I realize that selling the "first-time" author is very difficult, but how long is long enough? In case anyone is interested, I've created a homepage for my book with a detailed story of what I went through to get it published. You can check it out at: http://www.communique.net/~abear/ if you'd like. Charlie