HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
    Rob Poops

Austin & Macauley - has anyone heard of them?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with Austin & Macauley before? I\'m thinking of sending them my first three chapters but when I checked out their website, I couldn\\\'t track down any of their previously published books.

Any information most welcome,
    Kind regards,

Rob Poops
    rob@inkeys.co.uk

Rob Poops

Re: Austin & Macauley - has anyone heard of th

Additional - I've managed to find out that they possibly operate from virtual offices at Canada Square, Canary Wharf (for those that don't know, a virtual office is where you pay for a posh address and they forward your post/take your calls etc)

Question is: Where are peoples manuscripts really ending up?

gulliver h

Just out of curiosity, why are you considering sending this outfit your work, exactly? What is the attraction here? The virtual offices? The lack of sales? The ocean between you?

Sounds yummy all around...

Rob Poops

Yes, I know. Alarm bells all over the place.

My reasons for asking is that a friend of mine (previously published, but a long time ago) sent their three chapters etc and six weeks later were asked for the full manuscript.

I thought I'd do the same, until I did some research. Now I'm not so sure.

jayce

"Alarm bells" go off when an agent asks for an upfront fee or recommends an editor, that sort of thing. What you're talking about is the "Stupid gong". It goes off when you encounter an agent who is brand new/out of touch/inept/has no publishing contacts/loves to read so decided to become an agent/etc. etc. Here's what the stupid gong is trying to tell you: No agent is better than a bad agent.

Keep querying.

Roger Linn

Guess what? I've just had the 'would like to take your work on' letter with the caveat that a 'contribution' may be required. The writer was Annette Longman - Chief Editor. Forgive me but I'm beginning to smell fish. Austin? Macauley? Longman? Allowing for the mispelling of the first named, we're dealing with the giants of English literature here. I'll pursue it nonetheless and we'll see how far it runs.

Joe Mellen

I wonder if you have found out any more about AM? I have submitted a manuscript after having first sent three chapters etc and have had a letter expressing a wish to publish but with a contribution from me required ...
    I am of course interested to find out more about them. Are they bona fide etc?

Jeanne Gassman

Check them out at Preditors & Editors:
    <http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/>

Or at WriterBeware:
    <http://www.writerbeware.com>

Jeanne

thomas devlin

I have been involved with austin and macauley publishers for a while now. When i originally sent them my outline for a non-fiction book they were interested and wanted to see the full manuscript. I sent it to them and i have just received a letter stating that they are interested in publishing it, but that I will have to make a contribution towards the production fees. After speaking to the chief editor - Annette Longman - I was told the fee could be as much as 2500. I am currently waiting for them to send me further information, but it doesn't sound right to me and alarms are ringing. Does anyone have further information following on from the above posts?

TD

Afric McGlinchey

It was very informative finding this site. I have just received an invitation to send my novel to Austin & Macauley - to James Carter (assistant editor) and was planning to do so, but now I'm not so sure. Will keep looking.