HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    George Norton

Readers Favorite

If you are a newly published author looking for exposure in cyberspace, may I suggest www.readersfavorite.com. Debra Gaynor (Reviewer) does a marvelous job in her free reviews. At this site you can also enter a contest for book awards, not to mention other promotional packages offered there.

Competition is fierce in the literary world as you may already know, so take a firm grip on self-confidence as you navigate through the promotion maze. As for unpublished writers, never throw in the towel. Even John Grisham started out selling his books out of the trunk of his car. He even had trouble giving them away. I myself am in that mode, but everyday that passes I see an increase in my book sales.

Lastly, I also recommend www.authorsden.com.

Warmest regards, Author of "I STOLE THE TURTLE AND THE OCTAVE RULE"

Gravity Fades

Re: Readers Favorite

The "John Grisham sold his first novel out of his trunk" story has been disproven many times, mostly by Grisham himself. It was a straight commercial deal.

Gary Kessler

Grisham gets a good laugh out of this every time it comes up. He was a pretty wealthy lawyer already when he first published, and he requested an overrun of books from his publisher that he bought outright so that, as he said, he could sell books at garden parties. He says most of those books are still stored at his house and he's waiting until the first edition is really, really valuable and then he's going to release signed editions slowly and surreptiously and try to make a mint off them.

I think he'd look down at his nose and give the evil eye to anyone who suggested he ever had trouble giving any of his books away, though.

Don Daffron

I read “A Time to Kill” a few months ago. There is a forward by him. As I recall (I loaned the book to someone), he wrote that only five thousand copies sold. It was only after he had written other books that “A Time to Kill” was republished and sold very well. He wrote that his dreams of being a best-selling author were dashed – until his first best-seller.

Gary Kessler

A Time to Kill went to two printings, so it wasn't originally projected to sell even the 5,000 copies. (It sold all of the copies that the publisher, Wynwood initially printed). Grisham bought 1,000 of those copies--not because he had to but because he wanted to and was rich enough to afford it--and last March he said that he still had 750 copies of it in storage--and had a quote that each of the first edition copies of that would be worth over $3,900 (obviously not if he released them all at one time, though). His dreams of being a best-selling author weren't dashed very long (if ever. Blurb copy is there to titilate and help sell). Less than two years later and two weeks before his second book (The Firm was sold to Doubleday, Grisham had sold the movie rights to A Time to Kill (for $600,000), and Wynwood reissued it, whereupon it spent 80 weeks on the best-sellers lists.

Grisham lives near me and speaks in the Charlottesville area probably more frequently than he appears anywhere else. This story, indeed, is one that's been made into a self-publisher's super urban myth.

Every time you see that story in a come on ad, you are being shilled.

There probably are some "sold it myself" success stories out there; Grisham's isn't one of them.

George Norton

I wrote the brief article to encourage new writers. I cited from John Grisham's "Ford County" book (first couple of pages) to just demonstrate that writers need to start somewhere. Whether this has been disproved or not is irrelevant. The fact is that aspiring writers need advice, not to mention support in every venture. First time writers will eventually learn the secrets of facing honor and dishonor, and especially adversity. One can elaborate on Nora Roberts and others also, but writers need to focus on their own success and contentment.

Don Daffron

Gary:

Your friend, John, wrote the words I posted about. I think I will take HIS word for it. I don’t have the book (like I posted, I loaned it to someone), but I do remember him writing that his dreams of being a best-selling author had been dashed when “A Time to Kill” was a failure. Until he had a “name” in the business and the book was republished, it evidently was a failure. Remember, HE wrote those words, not me, not someone else, HE did. I also remember he blamed the publisher for the failure, writing that little was spent promoting it. He did not write anything about selling them out of his trunk, but he did write that he bought what was left of them.

Gary Kessler

Not even close to next Friday midnight yet, Don. *smile* And, sure, you can believe whatever you wish. As can I. My observations come from watching his mouth move.

Don Daffron

As near as I can tell, we’re not fighting. Maybe he lied in this little “extra” he put in the newest edition of “A Time to Kill,” but that’s what he wrote. I think this edition is still on the shelves at some grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etcetera, if you want to check. It means nothing to me.

BTW, “A Time to Kill” would be eviscerated on WN. It simply is not very good writing. I’m happy he has been successful though and have nothing against him. Don’t know as I ever met him.

Don Daffron

Gary:

When you start buzzing again, then I will know we are fighting.