HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cathy C

Re: Your Biggest Challenge

I should expand on that slightly:

Coming up with great new ideas when you have a contract for "the next three untitled books," all three of which must be completed and turned in within ten months (three months each). Great ides in the head don't always work outside the head.

Sigh...the time goes awfully fast when you're staring at a blinking cursor

Jena Grace

Hi Keith! I've been mostly lurking lately (and enjoying every minute!)

Don Daffron

Cathy C:

How can anyone write three novels in ten months and turn out their best work? I think one a year is about right.

I hope all three do well.

Gary Kessler

Writing a great novel and the time it took to write it aren't linked in any meaningful way. They both depend on differing personality traits.

Cathy C

How can anyone write three novels in ten months and turn out their best work? I think one a year is about right.

I tend to write in final form, without multiple drafts, Don. Most of the time "writing" a book is the thinking part for me. After I have it in my head, I can pound it out in about 30 days (my best time is 18 days, for Captive Moon)

But again, what sounds great in my head often struggles when going onto the page. The last book took every bit of the three months and it wasn't a happy time in my house. Sigh...

But there's no way I could survive doing one book a year. The market simply moves too fast for that in genre fiction. If you don't have a book release per season or at least every two seasons (unless you're a frontlist bestseller) the public forgets you pretty quickly.

Shelley Stout

Right now, my biggest challenge is to let people know about my book signing. I'm networking like crazy, and trying to get some airtime on a local radio station!