HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Robert Wilson

E-book delay by big publishers

I heard on NPR today that Simon&Shuster has decided to delay making the e-book edition of any book they traditionally publish available 4 months after the print edition.

Apparently, this is an effort to sell the more expensive print version 1st, then follow with the $10 e-book version. Sorta like movie companies sell DVD's.

RW

Gary Kessler

Re: E-book delay by big publishers

Not surprising. They wouldn't offer e-books at all if a large part of the buying market wasn't moving there.

They've done the same thing with following up hardbacks with paperbacks for many decades.

L C

In other news, water is wet.

The sixth edition of my nonfic isn't on Kindle yet, and won't be for quite some time. Why cannibalize print sales?

sam albion

Print sales are no so black and white, though. Yes, most novels are released in hardback first, but these hardbacks are heavily discounted, and only affordable if you use a company like Amazon and qualify for free shipping. I just took possession of three hardback Dan Browns- each one with an RRP of 20. I wouldn't, and didn't, pay 20 each for them, of course.

Yesterday, I hear Apple are releasing their new "reader", and it will cost about 1000 dollars! How many books would that buy you? Hardly anyone is going to buy it at that price...

Secondly... Most publishers will be repackaging "classics" to sell on e-readers- I don't want to read Dickens and Bronte again- even if I can buy them in a bundle and at a reduced rate.

L C

<< Yesterday, I hear Apple are releasing their new "reader", and it will cost about 1000 dollars! How many books would that buy you? Hardly anyone is going to buy it at that price... >>

The foam-at-the-mouth Apple fans will, and they'll make up the same excuses as they do for their overpriced computers.