HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Randall Williams

Ghostwriting: fees?

Hi gang,

This site was a huge help a few years ago getting my first book done - I\'ve recommended it lots.

About to score a new gig, looking for anybody who has experience with ghostwriting. I\'ve pitched a book concept to a good friend (a minor celebrity with a long career.) If it goes, I\'ll do most of the writing based on oral interviews.

Odds are good that it will be picked up by a minor publisher - there\'s been interest from a few specialty houses already, and this person is pretty connected to some internationally published authors, so that could happen, too.

What should I charge? I know that it\'s all individual, but does anybody have a decent ballpark estimate? I was thinking of a per-book dollar amount, with a decent advance. Alternately, we could do it for a percentage of sales with an advance.

Any replies mucho appreciated - personal email freedomrandall@yahoo.ie, or here on the thread.

Cheers,

Randall

Frank Baron

Re: Ghostwriting: fees?

I know someone who's done a lot of ghostwriting and most of her gigs have been done for a flat fee. A couple also involved a mutually-agreed upon split of the advance and royalties (if any).

I've never heard of a "per-book dollar amount" and think scoring such a contract would be unlikely.

Gary Kessler

Re: Ghostwriting: fees?

Here's what Lyn Wasnak suggests on the "How Much Should I Charge" Web site:

Ghostwriting, as told to $55 high/hour, $25 low/hour, $40 average/hour; $55,000 (one report)/project.

Ghostwriting, no credit $80 high/hour, $25 low/hour, $55 average/hour; $20,000 (one report)/project.

Suggest whatever you settle on that you have a written contract rather than a verbal one and that you try to take "for-work-performed" fees rather than any sort of contingency on sale of the manuscript.