HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: research

Andrea Robbins

research

Doing a little research for my newest project:

I'm curious of all the different ways people stay on track when writing a new novel. How do you keep everything organized? Do you use a spiral notebook, index cards? What are some "tricks of the trade" that have worked for you?? (For instance, I print off a calendar to keep a time-line of events that happen throughout the novel. It helps me pace my plot). Do you have a list of "tools" that you use? What would recommend to a new author?

Thanks!!

Gary Kessler

Re: research

Just a few notes on a yellow pad.

Iko Kostadinov

Hmmmmm... Opening an Excel file hepls me a lot.

L C

Some people use free novel-writing software called ywriter.

<http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html>

Andrew Smith

Every author is going to find their personal best way of doing things. I just write, straight out, in Microsoft Word. I will keep a list of notes or ideas, sometimes links to research material on the web, at the very end of the document and then highlight or delete these notes as I go through my work.

Gary Kessler

One technique I use (with editing too) is that I write in one computer and have another one at my side where I research and fact check.

Cathy C

I do what Gary does. I have two computers working at the same time and bounce back and forth.

S. Rutherford

I sort of do what Andrew does but on the same note, I probably do too much when it comes to research. If my characters are really intense, I use a character profile outline that I posted on the net for struggling writers to use (it helps remember things like a monster zit beneath your left eye or the Wisconsin-shaped mole on their left knee-cap). I sometimes do what Andrea does and make a calendar if my story is going through a plot in that direction. Or I just throw everything up in the air and hope for the best (I usually come out with warped stories that make the reader question their sanity).

Joe Zeff

I do even better. I use one computer, with one monitor, but I have OpenOffice running on Desktop 1, Thunderbird (for email) on Desktop 2 and Firefox (for research) on Desktop 3, with Desktop 4 available for whatever else is needed. That way, I can flip from one program to another just by rotating my Desktop Cube without ever minimizing a program. Isn't Linux wonderful?

Gary Kessler

I run two computers because I usually want to be checking the text wording and the background information at the same time against each other. I have, however, recently gotten a humongous monitor for my desktop, so I can split screen now for some things without losing too much font size.