HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Warson Printing

Book recommendation: Toddler Interpreter

《Toddler Interpreter》,A Parent’s Guide to Baby Sign Language for Hearing Babies and Toddlers.

Ian and Lisa share 20 years experience between them working with sign language, scientific research and children. Ian has worked in the Disability sector for 7 years teaching sign language to hearing children and adults who suffer severely from Autism Spectrum Disorders and Downs Syndrome. He first became interested in using baby sign language with children without disability when he became a father. After much research it became apparent that there were very few resources available to teach hearing children to communicate with sign language. He felt that there was a simpler way to bridge the temporary communication gap between parents and children in the first few years using baby signs that were age appropriate and based on natural gestures.

Lisa is a research scientist of 13 years experience and has worked with children with behavioral difficulties for 6 years. As a mother of two, she became interested in the use of baby sign language as she looked for ways to become a better parent. Her son suffered the tantrums and frustrations of the terrible twos until she was able to introduce baby sign language into their home. She has spent a great deal of time since researching baby sign language in order to avoid the same frustrations with their second child. She hopes that these baby sign language resources provide parents with a new and fun way to interact understand and communicate with your baby and toddlers.

Baby Sign Language is the most wonderful gift that you can give to your baby, letting them know from an early age that they are understood and loved.

Baby’s have the ability to interpret and understand what you are saying long before their vocal chords are developed enough to form words. Toddler Interpreter Baby Sign Language has been uniquely designed into five easy stages of learning. The most relevant baby signs are taught first making it easier to learn. It involves the use of speech while concurrently signing with your baby, using a vocabulary of keyword baby signs and gestures.

There are many proven benefits of using Baby Sign Language:
    • Baby Sign Language reduces frustration for you and your baby by bridging the communication gap in the pre-verbal years
    • Baby Sign Language stimulates brain activity and speech development, resulting in higher IQ.
    • Baby Sign Language helps to accelerate the speech process, providing a strong foundation for early literacy.

How to contact LISA and buy the book?
    Contact information:
    Lisa Baade
    Author and Company Director
    Toddler Interpreter
    Email: lbaade@bigpond.com
    Online shop: http://www.toddlerinterpreter.com/

Frank Baron

Re: Book recommendation: Toddler Interpreter

There can be a downside as well. Friends of mine taught their (hearing) baby to sign and he became quite adept. He's almost three now and his speech is vastly behind that of his peers. He still prefers to sign for what he wants instead of ask for it.

Sam English

My neighbor, a teacher, taught his (hearing) daughter to sign before she could speak and it has become a BIG problem in her verbal development. I think for a family with no hearing impairment, this is not a good idea.

Gary Kessler

Yep. My niece's daughter developed her own sign system rather than talking--and the family played along with it--and my niece subsequently has spent a small fortune in getting the girl moved into verbalizatin so that she can go to school.

Raven Nights

Likewise I know of a small boy , youngest of three. He was taught sign before he could speak, while his older brother and sister were not. The parents thought they were doing the right thing.

Now 6.5 while an advanced reader and has a strong understanding of what is said to him or what he reads, is under-develeped in pronoucing words.

No-one noticed as he was 'cute' until he was going from pre-school to regular. The school his older brother and sister attend has a policy of testing childrens skills etc. to assess their abilities and if necessary recommending additional assistance if the child appears behind his/her peers in a particular area. (great idea really, catch the problem before it's a real problem)

Long story short,the poor kid now has special speech classes every week (1.5 yrs now) and doesn't understand completely how he can have good grades and need special 'attention'

Thankfully, as it was caught early, we are hopeful this will be the final year.

L C

I never even heard of this philosophy of teaching hearing kids to sign while they're toddlers. I looked up the poster's book on Amazon -couldn't find it, but found a bunch of others. Apparently this is popular in some circles.

nancy drew

I always found it suspicious that Koko never spoke.

Shann Hall

My son had speech problems and was almost impossible to understand, so we taught him a few basic signs, but he had to say the word, not just sign it. It helped with him because he would get so frustrated that no one could understand him. We didn't learn a lot of signs, but it helped him not to get upset and give up. I'd want to make sure the child spoke everything they signed or you could run into delays. The same son was introduced to computers at an early age,we thought we were giving him a huge advantage. At 2 he could operate the computer better than I did. Unfortunately, when he started school, he was asked to draw a picture of himself. He was unable to do it. I had to let him do it on the computer then work really hard to fix my mistake and help him write with a pencil.

Warson Printing

hi,friends,thanks for your discussions.
    we will try to invite the author -Lisa Baade- to join the discussion later