HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Derek Wayne

Re: Review for Yuan's Place

I've read many negative reviews on Amazon that are most definitely not written by family or friends, and I have read negative reviews in legitimate newspapers that are written by pompous a$$es. I think I have at least half a brain and can make up my own mind about what I want to read, but this doesn't negate the validity of amazon reviews. They are for the most part written by "normal people", just like me, and I take their opinions more seriously than certain snobs with credentials. I'm not talking about self-pubbers with only one review, but the opinions of people who have read books, and feel compelled to express views one way or another.

L C

Derek, I must only have half a brain, too, because I'm also influenced by Amazon reviews. When a book has dozens or hundreds of reivews, I doubt they're all from friends and family.

I recently made a purchase of language software based on Amazon comments of its user-friendliness. I had originally intended to buy a different one, but decided not to based on all its negative comments.

Janice W-D

Well, someone's buying newspapers, magazines and literary journals, otherwise my mentor wouldn't keep getting paid cash to write them. She mostly writes editorial reviews, not only pointing out the merits and flaws of the book (usually a novel or biography), but also evaluating it against the author's other work and that of other writers in the same genre.

I get my reading list from varied sources: freelance writers' newsletters, the library's book club, friends and family, my critique group, and the emailed newsletter of the New York Times Book Review. To each their own.

I sometimes check Amazon to see if samples pages are available. While there, I might look at the reviews--if they have any 3-starred ones. It's a crap shoot as to whether those will point out the merits and flaws or just be opinionated along the lines of: this book wasted my money because a minor character was a cowboy and I hate cowboys.

As to the debate between LC and Gary, on some points it dances on the edge of comparing apples to oranges. Evaluating user friendliness of technical how-to books can be done by the average person. When it comes to a reliable evaluation of a novel, I'd much rather read a review written by someone with training and skill. Again, to each their own.

Best,
    Janice

Janice W-D

Xiao-Cong Hu,

You're quite welcome.

Best,
    Janice

L C

Janice, I know some folks read newspaper reviews. I personally don't, and have made decisions on books, software, and other products based on Amazon comments. I don't weight them too heavily, but I am influenced when they make salient points about content. I haven't read a novel in probably 15 years, so all the books I buy are non-fiction or technical. I can't imagine caring what any reviewer says about a novel(I don't care about movie reviews, either).

That said, when there are dozens of reviews and they're detailed and say the same thing, I feel like I just read the book, and don't buy it, lol. I feel I just read the SparksNotes!

Frank Baron

In my experience, Amazon reviews help sales. My publisher (an imprint of McGraw-Hill) agrees.

And IMO, the OP is having lots of fun yanking chains.

Ce Ce

Dunno about the rest of you published, but I can tell you for a fact that Amazon sales account for a tiny percentage of my overall sales, so I believe I can safely assume that only a small percentage of my readers go there to determine whether to buy one of my books.

And I also agree that the OP is having fun of the trollish kind.

Xiao-Cong Hu

yes, reviews are published, whether it is a professional review on the newapaper or a review someone wrote and posted on amazon. I am projecting to make some sales on amazon and B & N and elsewhere selling my books. My first poetry collection, the publisher gave very little royalty rate for first couple of thousands of books. I really shouldn't have signed that dumb contact.