HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A Roby

Re: Publishing with a UP

Thanks so much, everyone. I appreciate all your insightful responses.

I don't know if this matters, but a top commercial house published book 1. Is publishing book 2 with a UP considered a step back? I truly believe the book has crossover appeal.

Misty Keith

I wouldn't consider it a step back at all. If anything, I would consider it being carried over into a new literary circle. There isn't anything wrong with that at all ;-)

Cathy C

Is there a reason you're contacting university presses without telling your agent? Has the agent been sending it out to second-tier publishers if the first-tier ones said no? I'd hate to see you stepping on your agent's toes without reason.

As for the primary question, university presses are a good place to go for niche books. But there are some medium presses that might be a good fit too, if they haven't yet been shopped.

Good luck!

A Roby

Hi Cathy,

I'm approaching UPs on my own because my agent has submitted my proposal to 17 editors at the commericial houses and most likely thinks my project is a losing proposition. In my mind, I'm freeing him up to focus on more lucrative projects. If this UP takes me on and I DO get an advance, I'll let him know, so he can look at the contract and collect his 15 percent.

Just heard from one of the UP editors. She's sending it through the peer review process--which will take 4-6 weeks.

Wendy George

On the contract: I've only read the basics about contracts, but I think you can ask that the rights to the book revert back to you in a shorter period of time than is usual. Don't let them sit on the rights for some crazy twenty years, while only publishing it for one year.

Say, for example, they think they can sell enough in a year to pay for their investment and make a fair profit. Ask that it be part of your contract that if you want to, you can sign again with them, or option to take it to another publisher. I've heard of this being done, but don't know how easy it is to do.

They can say no, but so can you.

Mya Bell

A Roby: "She's sending it through the peer review process--which will take 4-6 weeks."

That's exactly why some of the UPs have good reputations. Not only must it pass narrative and editorial muster, it must also pass peer evaluation for accuracy, timeliness, etc. In other words, if you make it through that gauntlet, you have crossed a major hurdle.

Best of luck, once again. I hope you find a good placement.

--- Mya bell

A Roby

Yes, the two UPs interested in my work have extremely good reputations. I'd be thrilled if either of them accepted my proposal.

Now, if I could just get some money...