HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Harper

Word count per magazine column?

Does anyone know how many words comprise a standard magazine column? Ballpark figure? Range of possibilities? Wild guess?

tnx,

Harper

June Casagrande

Re: Word count per magazine column?

Since you're okay with wild guesses, I'll say that most NEWSPAPER columns and op-eds are in the 600-word range. Magazines tend print articles much longer than newspapers do, but I never really noticed the length of magazine columns.

I say, the shortest it's likely to be is about 600 words. The longest is probably about 2,000.

Best,
    June Casagrande
    Author, Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies

Jeanne Gassman

I write a column for an e-newsletter. The editor requested that I stay in the 500-800 word range. Some places may prefer a lower word count. I doubt that anything goes above 800 words.

Jeanne

Jeanne Gassman

P.S. Congrats on your book publication. I picked up a copy yesterday and am looking forward to reading it. I noticed in the blurb that you studied at Goddard. Would you be willing to send me a PM about your experiences there? I'm considering their MFA program. Thanks.

Jeanne

Anthony Ravenscroft

The length is whatever the editor says it is (& then the copy crew chops it to fit the hole).

It also varies wildly from medium to medium, & between sections within a particular outlet.

Unless of course you mean the physical page-length column, as opposed to "a syndicated column."

Amber Scott

The magazine I write for uses about 700 words a page. Articles are usually either short two-pagers (~1400 words) or longer 4-5 page features (~3000-4000 words). It also publishes mini-features of ~80-120 words each. It depends on the magazine.