HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jackie Miller

I'm A New Author!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!

Yes...it is true!!!!!!!! I have published my 1st book titled; "Keeper of the Arts"!

You can go to; www.KeeperoftheArts.com to view my promotional flier!

*(you might have to copy and paste to your URL for now.)*

It is a Historical Fiction book about Martial Arts from five countries. The entertainment is within an Action/Adventure story.

I tried Literay Agents who look for known writers or a known writer who has refered another writer.

Publishers...well, Royalty Publishers act the same way as agents. Subsidy Publishers wanted $13,000 to print my book. Finnaly, I signed up with a Print-on-Demand Publisher (Trafford). The general range of cost to me was $1300 - $1500 in a 2 year period.

If a Royalty Publisher likes it, they will contact you to get under a contract. Otherwise, you can be a published author (like me) and get your book out there to be read.

Christos Angelis

Re: I'm A New Author!!!!!!!!

Surely, seeing your book printed feels rewarding; there's nothing wrong with that. The problem starts if you're not realistic about your expectations.

A real publisher will never, ever, offer a contract for a book that is already published, let alone for a POD book. Also, if you have made some research, you should know that POD books rarely sell more than a couple of hundred copies.

Finally, the term "published author" is and should be used for authors whose work is accepted for publication by a proper publisher-a POD author is, actually, a "printed" author, if one can use this term.

I don't mean to disappoint you, but instead to offer you perhaps a more experienced view on how things work in the publishing world, which is very, very, very hard and unforgiving.

gulliver h

oh dear.

gulliver h

I don't mean to be rude, but maybe I'm cranky...still, why are you talking about yourself in the third person? (on your profile) Did someone other than you write that?

Tom Brown

I think you have done a wonderful thing.

gulliver h

that makes complete sense.

Simon Says

I think Trafford was probably the right choice for Jackie. And I think it is nice that she will get to share her book with her family and friends and the dozens of other people who will buy it.

Jackie Miller

WOW,

I see good energy and one person who thinks they are a judge on American Idol!

The reason why I chose Trafford was because of people & outlooks like the one Christos has!

Yes...it may be POD but I have a advantage.

There are no large selections of Martial Arts Fiction Books!

No Book Store section, no Library section. OH YEA...There are the very valuable instructional books on how to do and our beliefs on a Martial Artist's "Way of Life" but that's it!!!!!!

So...My sale numbers with a POD might have a low success rate but my target groups are hungry for this type of book. Besides, with a well written POD book, good reviews with some contests achievements, A author with a POD should, can & I will move to another level.

THANKS FOR THE ENERGY BURST CHRISTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way...I'M A MAN!!!! (lol) No harm done.

Christos Angelis

"...still, why are you talking about yourself in the third person? (on your profile)..."

If that question was for me, then the answer is that it was easy for me to just copy&paste straight from my website.

As for the rest of the comments...
    People, people...Settle down My dear Jackie, I am the last person in the world to judge you, or anyone else. My intention was to give you an outsider's view on how things work in the publishing industry, because from your message I got the impression (perhaps I was wrong) that you had some erroneous information. For example, "if a Royalty Publisher likes it, they will contact you to get under a contract" is, in my opinion, not accurate. Having travelled myself through muddy waters in the past, I am always sensitive to aspiring writers' hopes and expectations. There are of course things that you will have to taste and experience for yourself in order to learn, that's for sure.

I am not sure I understand what you mean with the term "people&outlooks...", but I can assure you that there isn't any great scheme out there to keep new writers from getting published. If a book has an audience and if it's good enough, it will get published; as simple as that.

Regarding your book, perhaps it is true that thematically speaking it was a good (and the only) option to select POD. Like I did mention, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you expect.

Good Luck in everything that you do

Jackie Miller

Don't worry Christos...You and me are OK!!!!!!!!!

Your comments based on your experiences are welcomed. It's just that your (easy going) attempt to re-focus my outlook and expectations came in a way as if you felt obligated to slow my cyrrent focus down based on a POD Publishing.

OK...again your points are well taken and maybe it won't work out based on your experiences. Never the less, It is published since your outlook is developed from a Royalty Publisher's outlook.

That makes a POD book and good product if the cover is appealing ( which mine is) to my mainstream target group and with enough visual effect for the avid reader/non- martial artist.

Yes Christos...my POD Book is to used to break ground for a new genre! What ever final number of sales I can maximize from my 1st Published Book, will be the stepping stone and tool needed to get the oppertunity to move to the next level. Without Print-on-Demand, your outlooks and developed expectations would have left half of the currently published book on the market; REJECTED!

Having you there Christos...has my suucess already reaching new heights!!!!!!!

Thank You and Good Day.