HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trudy Trosclair

Forgive an amateur's question

I realize this is the Pro board, but I thought you'd be the best people to be able to answer my question.

It has to do with using italics in a manuscript. Should they be underlined? Or with the new printing techniques is the use of the italic font permissible? I've yet to get a definitive answer. So how do you handle it?

Thanks much,
    Trudy

Iris

Re: Forgive an amateur's question

For previous books (five years ago and earlier), I used underlining, The editor for my current book told me to do whatever I want. So I now use italics for italics.

Catherine S

Underlining was used back in a time when most manual typewriters did not offer italics, so it was the only alternative.

Today's word processors have italics, but make sure you actually have the font in italics and are not simply slanting the text with the "i" option - giving you faux italics...(Or faux bold, etc.)...the reason you need the italic (or bold) font is because the faux italic (or bold) option may not work due to the settings and fonts of the receiver's software...so, what you might have as italic "Spiffy" font...may well default to regular Times New Roman on the other end. Use common fonts and make sure you have the actual font you're choosing.

C.

Trudy Trosclair

Thank you, Iris.

But Catherine I'm not quite sure what you mean. If I use the "I" on the toolbar, or use ctrl I, is that wrong? I'm using Word and Times New Roman 12.

I'll appreciate your answer as I'm no computer expert...to say the very least!

Trudy

Joe Zeff

Times New Roman is fine; italics will print properly. However, some other fonts don't really have italics and just slant the text. (Not quite the same.) If you send that to somebody who doesn't have that text, the font used might not translate properly. However, as long as you use (as you are) a standard font that has real italics, you're OK.

Catherine S

Is that the case between systems?? I mean, I realize Times NR is usually supplied with the operating system for Windows, but what about people with Macs or using Linux?? Many people in the publishing biz, use Macs.

Anyway, the way it works is that each form of the font (regular, bold, italic, bold italic, demi...etc.) is actually a different font. So you could have "Snappy" font in Regular and bold, but not have the italic version. However, the word processing program will give you a "faux" italics (or faux bold, or whatever options it happens to offer)...so the text will slant...but that doens't mean you have that font...so when someone opens the file on the other end, if they don't have the same software and settings then the font may not appear italicized on their end...

If you ever get a minute, study a true italic font and you'll see a difference, the characters are not just slanted, they're actually created differently...quite often the "f" is curved and elongated, for instance.

C.

Trudy Trosclair

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably have to send a hard copy, USPS to most agents, so I'm not too concerned about the differing computer systems.

I was only concerned about the need to underline.

Trudy

Trudy Trosclair

Dear Catherine,

As I told Jeff, I'll probably not be sending it email, and my italics font prints true, so I'll go with it. But I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Now--if I may bother you for another answer: Where on this group of boards may I go for advice on things like too much description, etc? I hesitate to continue to slip into the pros.

Thanks.

Trudy

Joe Zeff

Trudy, I do hope you take more care in your writing than you do in replying here. Please examine my name and your replies and see where you (like so many indifferent or careless people) went wrong.

I am careful here to make sure I spell other people's names correctly, and expect the same from others.

Catherine S

Geesh...if we have to start editing quickly-typed, casual posts with the same care we would use to finalize a manuscript or magazine article, I'm in serious trouble and am no doubt a major annoyance. I'm a self-proclaimed queen of typos, but I can assure you that when I was a writer and editor, my copy was usually pretty clean...and when I did make a mistake..it was a doozy...like leaving the "o" out of count in the business section..hahaha. My professional errors were not for the weak of heart.

You can't even edit your posts here, if you do catch a typo...

Cathi