HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mark Siet

When did you know?

A question for writers who are published.

Was a a time when you just knew your book was going to be published? Besides getting the phone call or email confirmation was there a time that you said to yourself this is it? I know this is good. This is definitely going to make it or is there always uncertainty in terms of whether someone is going to pick up your work.

The reason I ask is that I am proponent of being in the right state of mind in order for things to work out. In the past I've tried to reach the state of mind by promoting it within myself. Now I find after being three quarters through my novel that I have this sense of calm. I feel totally in control. I feel as though at this point my novel is tight, exciting, and interesting throughout. I don't know how to explain these feelings and was wondering if anyone else remembers feeling just certain and that was all.

Thanks

Mark

Iris

Re: When did you know?

Absolutely. I went into this believing that I could make it happen (although that feeling was based in part on the fact that I'd tried to read a year-long bestseller in my area and couldn't get past page 20 and decided that if HE could do it, I could too.....). I simply would not allow myself to doubt. I worked very very hard. Made sure I knew where and what the hoops where. Worked long hours on the writing. Put in LONG hours. And knew, just knew, that it would all work out.

I set myself goals: land an agent. Get a six figure advance. Etc. So far, each one has come to pass. But I know a lot of it is my hard work, my belief that I COULD do this. And a sense of ........calm at my core.

But the calm stems from the hard work, a refusal to give up, determination, belief in myself and what I can do.

Mark Siet

Iris:

Thanks so much for your response. This is exactly what I mean, 'a refusal to give up, determination, belief in myself and what I can do.'

Beautiful. Your words are an affirmation unto themselves.

Many thanks again for your ultimate reality check.

Mark

John Doerper

I knew before I wrote my first book because the publisher talked me into it (over a sumptuous lunch).

Iris

Mark, glad it made sense to you......because I'm pretty sure there are folks to whom it would not make sense.

I should add that I'm not in the same category as John (much as I appreciate his view of the same scene): I didn't have anyone chasing me down feeding me "sumptuous" lunches and talking me into things. I'm a nobody from nowhere.....But I BELIEVED. And if you knew me, you'd know how otherwise completely out of character that notion is for me.

So yes, Mark: hang on to that calm at your center. It can work wonders.

Onward, onward!

Kris Williams

Hey, Iris -

I too am encouraged by your confidence, but ...

a six-figure advance??? Seriously?? Do publishers DO that anymore?

Kris

Mark Siet

Iris, I've written two non fiction books in the past year and a half. One of them is called Thought Into Form and the other is called 360 Degrees of Good. Both sit somewhere publisher's desks. Their status in terms of publication is something I can only hope for. Both books emphasize that attitude is paramount to realizing our hearts desire. In terms of a theoretical basis for my feelings, this is something I have down pat. However, exciting as it is to come across the inspirations I have in my spiritual writings, it is even more thrilling to witness that same excitement bursting forth from within. The calm center indicates a resevoir of certainty. This certainty has been my holy grail since my mind began its questing long ago. I can tell by the strength of your replies that we are one in this experience. Both of your comments have made me respond within with a big YES. Affirmation confirmation. My best to you.

To sail the winds in airy skies
    To fill with hope where illusion lies
    There I find myself and all is well.

Mark

Richard -

When you get my age you don't believe anything until you sign the contract. I followed a gut feeling when I joined the Navy. I suffered. I followed a gut feeling when I got married the first time. I suffered. I had gut feelings about four of the novels I wrote. I suffered. I don't trust feelings. IMO

Iris

Do publishers "do" six-figure advances? Good lord, yes!

It's one of the things causing problems for publishers! It's one of the reason whatsherface (Ann Somebody??) got canned from RH last year: she was paying out HUGE advances.......

Read the trade press: six and even seven figure advances have become all too common......And so is the experience of books not paying out said huge advances.

Debra Storky

I never KNEW, but I did think it had a good chance to get published. It got great feedback in my critique group, with the teacher telling me (and only me) that my manuscript would be published. It also got great feedback at a retreat I went to, got me a good agent, won an award, and went to an acquisitions committee. STORKY was published by Putnam a few months ago.

My second manuscript didn't get the great feedback from that same critique group or from a different retreat I went to. Good, but not great. My agent liked it, my publisher didn't. I will finish revising it one of these days, but I'm not confident it will be published.

The one my publisher will see in a few weeks has gotten great feedback from a different critique group, my agent really likes it, and she already sent it to her film agent, who really likes it. I don't KNOW it will be published, but I think it has a good change of it.

By the way, my second manuscript was hard to write. My first and third ones were easy and fun to write.