HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Johnny Hess

"Hogs of Cold Harbor" published!

Whitmore Publishing has just released my historical novel, "The Hogs of Cold Harbor: The Civil War Saga of Pvt. Johnny Hess, CSA". Key in URL: http://www.whitmorebooks.com to see the book and read its description. (Press Index.) Easier yet, go to http://www.whitmorebooks.com/hoofcohaciwa.html .

It is endorsed by Norman Mailer and by Ron Casteel, Chief of Staff of "Sons of Confederate Veterans". I've already given one live radio interview; slated two speaking engagements; and have arranged for a guaranteed review in the SCV national magazine, "The Confederate Veteran" (which goes out to over 33,000 individuals.)

My name is Richard Lee Fulgham. My publisher is brand new with only three titles so far. It produced a sturdy, beautifully designed book (348 pages)and is promoting it, thanks to Mr. Mailer's kind endorsement.

I will keep in close touch as things happen. I will let every person who reads online history, writing, reading and history groups know that Whitmore is a worthy traditional press! I know that they heavily promoted Guy McPherson's "Killing the Natives" - and they've told me repeatedly by email that copies of my book are being sent to over 30 national, local and Civil War special interest newspapers and magazines.

They certainly didn't charge me anything, nor ask that I buy any of my own books. They're determined to live up to the venerable old name of "Whitmore Press" that existed from the 1950's to the 1990's. The new Whitmore owners can be trusted and I'm going to prove it online.

R W

Re: "Hogs of Cold Harbor" published!

Glad it worked out, but a couple days ago you didn't give a 'whit any more' why the about face?

Johnny Hess

They have done their part so far and I believe they will do what they said -- promote my book. I can always get on the online bookstores later. In fact, I can do it myself at any time. But I want to do things Whitmore's way for six months, after the grand Confederacy convention in Tennessee. Really, why should we give Amazon 55% when I might can make more dough selling them direct? We'll see what happens. I'm going to make every thing public. I'm banking on Whitmore's word and their performance so far -- which has been extraordinarily good.

Eric George

Amazon gets 55% because they are the boostore of choice for many people. And they will not make a dent in your bookstore sales. People generally prefer to buy in their local store if they can. If they can't for what ever reason (no local store, resident overseas, buying a Christmas present online), then Amazon et al are the way to go.

And you can include a link in any advertisements, emails, fliers that allow people to make an immediate purchase. They might see a reference to your book, and they can act immediately. Wil they make the effort to search for it in a bookstore next time they're in town? Probably not. But Amazon is always there and always open for business.

R W

I'd have to go with Eric and put it in the category of; what have you got to lose by selling on Amazon? Won't you sell the same amount on your own with or without online sales and any sold in that venue would be icing, its not an either/or thing but just more sales a different way?? But then I have not made it up the totem pole as far as you quite yet, my book is just now with my agent who is ready to shop it around to publishers, so I'm not well versed with all the sales/promo angles (yet). Anyway, good luck either way you go...

American Writer

Congratulations. Hogs of Cold Harbor, hmm. Just might be an interesting one for review for next month.