HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Mya Bell

"Fight Club" author site goes pay

Did you know Chuck Palahniuk's site is now going to charge for using the resources of the site?

Is this the start of a trend for other popular author sites?

Will other authors start charging their fans to visit their sites?

Will they lose 90 percent of their current members (this is what has happened to many other nonauthor pay sites) when they start charging money?

Did Chuck himself decide this? Or was it the brainchild of a business associate?

I have to admit it surprised me. The idea behind most author sites is to encourage readers to visit and interact, not to make money off of the people who are buying the author's books and going to the site for more information (and interaction with other fans).

I'm very curious about other people's opinions on this interesting development.

--- Mya Bell

Iris

Re: "Fight Club" author site goes pay

Actually, I just went and looked. I think he's giving good value for the money! Why SHOULD he offer his services as a reader for free?

Mya Bell

So, here's some more information on changes in Palahniuk's Web site, for those who are interested in this development.

Starting February 1, 2005:

If you want access to the forums, chat rooms, and author exclusives, it's $20 per year.

If you want ad-free general access to the whole site and, in particular, access to the reading room/feeback sections, it's $60 per year.

So, then, I suppose another question to consider is whether the feedback on Palahniuk's site, at $60 a year, is a better or worse deal than feedback from local (or online) writers' groups (or what's currently available on other authors' Websites).

--- Mya Bell

Mya Bell

"... reading room/feedback sections..."

Keith Postler

Well, I wouldn't pay for accessing a writer's web site, but if I was going to, it might as well be with someone with an established career.

--Keith

Roy Abrahams

Funny how success whets one's appetite for more money.

leslee

Failure does the same.

Ima Writer

He must have costs to run the site; as interest grows so does traffic and so do costs.

After all, $20 a year is nothing...that's what 4 or 5 Starbucks? Two manicures? A CD or two--3 used? 4 packs of cigarettes? One hardback book, on sale?

Just my 2 cents. So to speak.

Ima

Nick Dobbie

I'm gonna start up a club that likes to fight and we'll go see Chuck and punch his lights out for charging fees.

You are not your kahkis. You are not your huge writer's advance. You are the all seeing all breathing greedy writer who wrote about destroying the very thing that made you rich. Consumeraholicism vs Testosterone.

Have you read Chuck's 'Survivor'? It's much like TFC, but is great anyway.

Charlie KiinbOte

I will not be reading this person's books (- or should they be called 'units'?)

CK