HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Claude Harper

Discussion for Established Writers

Can anyone recommend a mailing list or discussion board or similar which is only open to published writers, particularly novelists?

Carol O

Re: Discussion for Established Writers

Check out authors' orgs like SFWA. And many publishers have forums (fora?) with a high percentage of published writers participating. Sometimes folks drop references to private boards.

Iris

Poets and Writers Mag has one; it's not all published writers, but it's a fairly serious group. The *design* of the forum, however, sucks in a truly major way.

Claude Harper

Thanks for the leads, Carol and Iris--much appreciated.

Experience

The Backspace discussion forum has among its members one New York Times bestselling author and numerous other published authors. The discussion forums also host bestselling authors in a question and answer format about twice a month.

<http://www.bksp.org>

Minnie Mouse

Can't ever pass up an opportunity for self-promotion, can you, "Experience"?

Iris

Karen, what's up!? You can't use your own name anymore?

Gary Kessler

I didn't realize that Karen and Experience were the same person. True?

But Experience is right in the response to the question asked. The discussion board on Backspace.com does seem to have a higher percentage of already published authors on it than other writers sites I know of (although not all members are published), and it does give direct access to visiting highly successful authors (and a few others in the publishing industry) in question sessions. The two agents who sometimes respond on WritersNet, Kristin N. and E.E., also seem to keep closer connection with Backspace.com than with WN.

The discussion board there isn't all that active and is pretty repetitive (So, what writers' board isn't?), but if you had a writing issue to discuss, a high percentage of those who could respond are published--and by traditional presses (or, at least, claim they are). Just a matter of what $30/year (although most are riding for free) and a personally controlled discussion board with a big glop of Backspace.com rah rahing is worth to you. And I wouldn't go gah gah over the impressive list of members--there aren't really all that many listed members who actively participate--and many of the active "published" members are anonymous, you have to take their publishing success on faith.

Denise Kiincy

I found a site called Absolute Write that looks interesting to me. I am starting a freelance career at the first of the year, and I have been reading some of the post of freelancers there, very informative. I am thinking of joining, the people seem friendly and helpful. There are lots of different boards for every kind of writing. Does anyone here belong to this group?

Karen Dionne

Sara, Maureen -

No subterfuge - I simply forgot I was logged in as Experience, which is how I post occasional answers at WN in an attempt to be helpful without the 'burden' of my now-infamous name . . . You know what a klutz I am with technology!

Interesting that you two would rather Charles NOT learn about a group that quite possibly would fit his needs, simply because it's administered by someone you dislike.