HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    a writer

gift for editor?

Is it appropriate to send your editor a small gift for the holidays? Thanks!

Debra Storky

Re: gift for editor?

I send one to my agent and one to my editor. Small gifts.

Wave wave

Yes but small gifts only.

leslee

Sure. People like to be appreciated. And we like to appreciate the people who appreciate us, right? Something small and heartfelt.

Gary Kessler

I'm a book editor with multiple clients. I would prefer not receiving gifts from them (puts me in subordinate status and makes me wonder if I should be sending the client a gift). I would prefer good rates for my work, frequent work offers, and acknowledgment section mentions by the author.

Vicky Scott

Gifts, although well-meant, can give the recipient a feeling of obligation. With unfortunate connotations, at times, of buying special favours. It's the apple for the teacher to ingratiate syndrome.

When it comes to people like agents, publishers etc. whom you have a business relationship with, I think a Christmas Card would be more appropriate and better received. It shows that they are in your thoughts in a warm way without the other negative sort of baggage. For no-one gets a feeling of indebtedness over a card.

leslee

Some of the greeting cards these days are gifts in themselves - like those great 3-D foldout cards.

Vicky Scott

Some of the greeting cards these days are gifts in themselves - like those great 3-D foldout cards.

I know, and they have the price-tag to match. ;-)

In fact, you have to spend about $3.50 (Can.) these days to get a decent looking card at all. Unless you buy a box, (which is an option if you have a long gift list) and even they can be quite expensive depending on the quality.

And let's face it, it's better to send nothing at all than a tacky looking card.

leslee

I like to buy boxes of unused vintage Christmas cards on Ebay and send those. They're so sweet.

Mya Bell

When it comes to people like agents, publishers etc. whom you have a business relationship with, I think a Christmas Card would be more appropriate and better received.

Many people in the book publishing industry are of other faiths. I like to respect individual religious choices and to try to select cards with universal themes.

--- Mya Bell