HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    a writer

publishing cycle

Hi everyone, I just finished my editor's edits (big publishing house) and am wondering what happens from here. Does my manuscript go to a copy editor? Will I have a chance to review those edits, too? At what point am I assigned a publicist? Thanks!

Jay Saunders

Over to you Gary...

I think out Editor in residence will be your man here!

Gary Kessler

Re: Over to you Gary...

There's no short answer to that--and this isn't a long-answer day for me. Maybe I'll find time to come back to this question, but maybe others will have answered before then.

Carol Kluz and I put all of this sort of stuff into our recent release Finding Go! Matching Questions and Resources in Getting Published (Winterwolf) to cut down on the need to repeat it so often. This particular question is answered in depth in chapter 10.

KJ --

Yes, eventually you will see the copy edits. They will arrive looking much like the manuscript you sent in - on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. The copyeditor will have done grammatical corrections and flagged any parts of your story that were inconsistent, confusing, or simply wrong. Later down the road you will have the chance to review your proofs before the book is actually printed. These pages will be laid out like the book itself - and you will be excited about that! Read over your proofs carefully because this is your last chance to catch an error. Also, keep in mind that changing anything during the proof stage could incur you, the author, extra costs. So, if you see anything you don't like anymore, try to get it out of your system during the copyedit.

The timetable for all this depends on your pub date and your editor. Do you know when your book is scheduled to appear? If not, why don't you ask your editor? Then you'll have an idea of when to clear the decks. Copyedits/proofs have a timed turnaround, and it can be quick.

a writer

Thanks so much KJ! My book is coming out in June. I did ask my editor via email but she hasn't replied yet. And I found a mistake (a minor one) in my manuscript yesterday so I wanted to make sure I'd have a chance to fix it before my book went to press.

Lily mclelland

A. Writer:
    First of all -- Good for you! Your first book, I guess?

As KJ said, try to make all your corrections BEFORE you get the printed proofs, because at that stage it gets very expensive to make anything more than minor changes: rewrite at that stage and your publisher will hate you for it! The proofs should come right after you return the copyedited manuscript.

As for a publicist, the publishing house has one or more but I wouldn't rely on the publisher to do a lot, unless you're a big-name writer or they're really pushing your book. Be prepared to do lots of publicity on your own, like calling local bookstores and arranging book signings. I think there are books on this subject. The most successful job of self-promotion was done by the writer of EREGON: this guy pushed his book practically cross-country!