HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Usman Ijaz

"Eragon" and Christopher Paolini

I'm just wondering if any other people have read this book, and if they have then what they thought of it. I read the book, and found it to be "alright", but not as good as I expected it to be from all the hype. Well, at least it gives hopes to other young writers as myself.

Robert Raven

Re: "Eragon" and Christopher Paolini

Always bear in mind that this young author had parents with serious connections to the publishing bidness and thereby a good deal of info and market options that most people don't. None of which is intended to say anything pro or con regarding the quality of the work he produced. Just to point out that he didn't exactly succeed via self-publishing in some sort of crapshoot vacuum.

RR

Gary Kessler

Also, I'll bet the finished product wasn't all that reflective of what he originally wrote. As Robert posted, this case has all the markings of a set of parents (successfully) using their son as a sales gimmick.

Jerry Hatchett

Yup, they all worked HARD to sell those 30,000 copies, too. Traveled across the country. Put on "performance signings" in schools and libraries and such across the land. IIRC, they spent a year on the road?

j

R0byn Schneider

I'll give Paolini credit for taking the time to market his book with his family, but I have to say that he doesn't seem very social. I've met and exchanged a few emails with pretty much every young published writer out there (except Nick McDonell, but that's a story two-years gone at this point) and there's this amazing sense of community. Young writers, especially here in New York, perform together at venues and support each other's readings. At the very least they read each others' blogs and websites. Paolini seems so distant from this group, and I have to wonder why. Actually, I go a step further and invite him, if he reads this, to e-mail me and get in touch.

-Robyn

p.s. A bad side effect of the afformentioned "hype" is that young authors are seen in a negative light by some editors, because they're this marketing commodity of sorts that necessitates a six-figure advance. When I first met my agent, she gave me an article on this topic, Paolini's name came up, and we discussed leaving my age out when we submit the mss to publishers next month.

Jerry Hatchett

Robyn, it's probably very simple: Paolini has probably answered so many emails that he's sick of it and doesn't have time to do it anymore. Given the publicity he got, can you imagine the flood of incoming correspondence?

I exchanged a couple of emails with him back when I bought the self-pubbed version of ERAGON from his own site and asked him to autograph it for me. He was a quite cordial and polite young man.

j

R0byn Schneider

Jerry--

Last year there was that Gen Y Spokesperson article by Caren Lissner for MobyLives, and EVERYONE I'm talking about was mentioned in that article, including Paolini. I just find it odd that he didn't get in touch with his felow bestselling Gen Y writers, since they're all mostly guys around twenty years of age.

I'm sure he's polite. I'm not saying that. I'm just mentioning his Salingeresque tendencies. And I LIKED his website. Too bad he took it down. That's what I mean--hiding.

Jerry Hatchett

Robyn, maybe we're just having a generational disconnect here or something; I have no idea why it would be "expected" of an author to get in touch with other authors mentioned in an article. Maybe he simply has nothing to say to them. Maybe he's tired and doesn't really want to talk about it for a while. Who knows why, but there are a million reasons.

j

Brady Boyd

I love the opportunity to be honest in a nasty sort of way. The book was crap.

It's an example of how enough money will make even garbage a success.

Brady

Mustaque Ullah

Hiya everybody! I'm new to this group, with this as my first post. Yes, I know this seems a little weird, me posting on this page, but its the first I was at, so it doesn't matter to me. I'm 13, and I think you "writers" are a bit older than me... Well, yes I suppose so, not a "bit"... I'm just reacting from my food. I'm a bit hyper today... Or so... I think I'm using too much ellipses, its just me... Well, I just checked out Eragon about 2 months ago, but haven't started reading until this week, on Tuesday I suppose. Just because of the Benchmarks. Well, I'm about 1/5 done with the book, in the chapter of Therinsford, but I really love Christopher's work, although it may not have been good as his original work. I'm a good writer, people at my school say so. I think so too, very..."emotional"...