HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    HapiSofi

Re: Rhetorical Question

Webmaster, I'm sorry, but Glen Brock is right. Hardcover buyers get markedly more price resistant in the mid to upper twenties. And yes: if you're signed by a real publishing house, they will market your book for you. It's what publishers do. You're of course free to do your own marketing, and if so it's best done in coordination with your publisher's efforts; but you don't have to.

PA and other scammers don't just rip off their writers. They also disseminate vast amounts of disinformation about how publishing works. Their misleading models can do you harm even if you never sign with them.

web master

You guys are missing the point. Of course no 20$ paperback is going to sell. But why? Because of cost or because of the industry standard? Nobody wants to pay 20$ for a paperback because nobody else is doing it.

"Their misleading models can do you harm even if you never sign with them."

Now you're just getting paranoid. I think to not sign with PA would probably be an adequate defense anything they do.

James, surely you're taking your publishing experience for granted. I suppose it's only natural for someone who has experienced success in traditional publishing to view the whole situation wearing rosey colored glasses.

I just don't get your optimism. You're perpetuating myths at at an almost Meiners-esque rate.

Myth 1. It's easy to sign with a traditional publishing house. Truth: Many famous authors with guaranteed hits had been rejected time and time again before FINALLY signing with one and then producing something phenomenal like Harry Potter. Truth is most publishers won't even look at an unagented submission.

Myth 2. It's easy to find an agent. Truth: Agents, like publishing houses, are not thrilled at the idea of taking on a first time novelist. They want something proven, bankable (meaning some previous writing experience) and hopefully fictional. Because if you try to write a nonfiction book, (not counting How-To's) and proclaim it a best seller based on your writing ability and not your fantastic and accredited life, (unless you're Jenna Jameson of course) then your search for an agent will be a long one.

Finding An Agent from http://mailer.fsu.edu/~tjp4773/ninetips.html

If You Still Can't Find an Agent, What Should You Do?

(a) First of all, keep trying. Many talented authors spend months, even years, finding an agent. The old adage is often true: it's almost as hard to find a publisher as it is to find an agent.

(b) Second--and this is important--work on your writing credentials. Unless you're going to be a one-hit, nonfiction wonder because of a unique personal experience (Colin Powell, for example, will probably never write another book after finishing his autobiography) you should begin to think of yourself as a "career writer", that is, as a writer who will continue to write many book-length manuscripts. As a "career writer", devise a strategy that will help you work towards finding an agent. Most agents like to take on clients who have published well. In short, they're looking for authors who have already proven themselves. If you want to publish a novel, keep sending out short stories until you've gathered enough publication credits so that agents cannot ignore you. If you work in nonfiction, continue to write magazine pieces until you have a tidy list of published articles. Strive to publish in those magazines and journals which will give you the most exposure.

(c) Lastly, if you're a "career author," consider publishing your first book with a smaller house, such as Graywolf, SoHo, Milkweed Edition, etc. Such publication will not only impress agents but also help establish you as a book author. I've known a good number of writers who moved to a large house for their second book, especially if their first book sold well or received good critical notices. I should also point out that although there is nothing wrong with self-published books, they will not help you find an agent and only in the very rarest of cases (read: odds of winning the lottery are better) will these books ever be republished by a commercial New York house.

(9) Final Words

Finding an agent, and eventual publication, may be one of the most difficult and challenging projects of your life. Most writers like the challenge. Wallace Stegner said that it takes most people 10 years of serious writing before they find significant publication. If you're a career writer--and you should be--listen to that voice which draws you back to writing. Seven years ago I enrolled in an MFA program (UC Irvine), and from that experience I've learned that writers who continue to write and survive rejection eventually find agents and are published. The key to finding an agent is perseverance and a never-ending belief in your own work.

James Macdonald

Finding An Agent from http://mailer.fsu.edu/~tjp4773/ninetips.html

Oh, Lord, it's Todd James Pierce.

Todd is the guy who advises people to lie in their cover letters. Ignore anything he says.

I'm sorry, web master, but you've picked up some bad information and for some reason you won't let go of it.

Every agent and every editor out there knows that Tom Clancy won't live forever. Every one of them is looking for the next J. K. Rowling. They all know that the next Danielle Steel is in the slushpile somewhere.

Yes, people in the top one percent get rejected. That happens for a lot of reasons, including that the publishing house only has so many slots, they've just published something similar, they don't publish your kind of book, or they aren't sure how to market it. Yes, it happens. But here's the secret: If a work is publishable by one it's publishable by many. You need to keep trying until you find the agent or publisher that's a fit.

Meanwhile, work on your next project. You have to consider that the work you're currently trying to sell may not be as wonderful as you think it is.

If you're determined to go the self-publishing route, nothing I can say will stop you. Lots of people will be happy to take your money. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

Carol O

The Bad Advice of Todd James Pierce, Discussed and Refuted:

Part1: <http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/005212.html>

Part 2: <http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/005218.html>

Ashling White

Carol--
    You put this link on the agents board & I replied that someone had posted it a month ago and we had already discussed it to death. Ignore my post please. I now see that some people that needed the info haven't read it yet.

Carol O

No prob, Ashling. You've simply discovered that I'm a high-level agent of the Department of Redundancy Department. Now I must confuddle you with legalese to make my escape!

*swirls cape, trips, falls on face*

Ashling White

LOL Carol.