HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Richard Fulgham

My good experience with America Book Publishing Gr

[Post removed at poster's request. Hamish (WritersNet)]: Richard Lee Fulgham.

Granny

Re: My good experience with America Book Publishin

I hope you continue to have good experiences or even better than the experience you've had so far. Of course, many authors have had very very bad experiences with American Book, so even if they treat one author nicely, it would not overrule the many who have been treated very badly.

I believe there are still one or two people left who can say they had nothing but good experiences with Publish America, Janet Kay, and Poetry.com -- but when their voices are a whisper in a sea of discontent, it doesn't make the businesses a good deal for anyone else.

Carol O

ABP?! With all due respect, is this another of your jokes?

Carol O

Then I wish you the best of luck, Richard. Please let us know when your book reaches the stores.

web master

People who are dissatisfied with PA, or other POD companies are usually writers that are unfamiliar with the business side of writing. They expect the POD company to act as a traditional, and that simply is not possible for some companies to do.

Publish On Demand business is this generation's answer to self publishing. There are a lot of risks involved, (though much less in comparison to decades ago) and much more responsibility falls on the shoulder of the author, but I don't see any reason why taking this route should be frowned upon.

Anders Bruce

" I don't see any reason why taking this route should be frowned upon."

Because there's no quality control, and the market is being flooded with poor, unedited books.

Carol O

The complaint is not against the POD model, but the vanity model (as opposed to true self-publishing). Unfortunately, most vanity presses of this generation use POD, therefore the term has gained the connotation of "bad". POD is perfectly good for certain products. Self-publishing is perfectly acceptable for certain products (it's pretty much the norm for poetry, etc.). What "we" are railing against is the vanity model that preys upon the aspiring novelist, taking their book and their money and leaving them with a product that no one beyond friends and family can or will buy.

web master

If a vanity press makes is clear and is honest about what they can do for you as the author, then they are at no fault in trying to make their money back.

As far as "preying" on the aspiring novelist goes, that's tough--but that is the fault of the novelist for not knowing the business side of writing, not the POD company's. For the most part, most vanity presses are honest about what they can do.

Publishing a book is all about marketing these days. If the author cannot produce something an editor sees as marketable, then a vanity press could serve that author. He or she could self-market the book and if they know what they're doing, do it successfully. If they don't know what they're doing, then at the very least they'll find out first-hand why the commercial aspect of writing is important.

As far as badly edited books go, well it's a defective product that will reflect badly on the author. It's a shame editors don't do their job...but you get what you pay for. (especially in the case of Publish America that does it for free)

Is this new generation of publishing a bad thing? Should the whole POD process be shut down just to appease traditionally published authors? No.

Ralph Daugherty

web master is intelligent and diplomatic and of course right, but I'll cover it from a different angle. Who the hell are you people to tell me whether I can publish my book or not? Go send some more agent queries and let agents and publishers dictate to you what they will even deign to look at but don't tell me what I can publish or not.

rd

Anders Bruce

The bad products also reflect poorly on the company in general, and since most pay-to-publish POD companies don't edit their books and will take anything. That has stigmatized the entire industry