HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Elle C.

Define "published writer" ??

Okay people, let's start a new topic, shall we?

Someone in a previous thread said that WN is for wannabe writers who never will be published. Harsh words, and most certainly untrue.

I'm curious as to what other folks on WN consider a "published writer" to be. When I first joined, I checked the "no" box for published writer, because I thought it specifically meant having a book published with a major publishing house, going through an agent. Now I'm wondering, based on some of the posts I see around WN, if that's not the case, and my definition is too narrow.

I had several books published while I was on-staff at a NYC publishing house (there was no query/agent process, though...I wrote them because it was part of the job). A couple are still available on Amazon, but they're not exactly thrilling page-turners. I don't count those because I wasn't paid any extra for them above and beyond my salary, and I certainly don't get any royalties from them (strictly work-for-hire). I've had a couple hundred articles published in national consumer magazines over the last 17 years, and I was paid for all of those...but those are just articles; here today, gone next month. Books have more permanence, in my estimation, and to be accepted by an agent and have a publishing house bid on your project is my criteria for truly "making it" as a writer.

How do YOU define "published writer?" If you have been published, be it on the web, in magazines, or as book authors, do tell!

Lynn

Re: Define "published writer" ??

Elle
    I'd say you're a 'published writer'. Many people have no intention of writing a book and have only pub'd in magazines, etc. I'll bet they consider themselves both writers and published.

The minute something you wrote is pub'd, you're a published writer (IMO). I'm sure everyone's personal goals are different--each setting the bar at the level they wish to achieve.

Carol O

To me, being published is being able to walk into a random bookstore and see one's book/magazine on the shelf. (Admittedly, there are some perfectly respectable magazines that have limited distribution, but one gets my point, I hope.)

For the growing e-market, I fall back on selectivity: having an objective, knowledgeable, third party consider one’s work worth investing money and/or resources.

Frank Baron

Being paid for writing something and seeing it in print or online=published in my book.

Wonky

If your work is accepted for publication by a newspaper, mag or book publisher, you are published. If you PAY someone to print your book, or photocopy your own stuff and pass it around, you are NOT.

Happy Soybean

A magazine paid me $90 to publish my short short story. I consider myself a published writer.

If you submit your work to a market (a magazine, newspaper, etc.) and the editors select and publish your work, consider yourself published. Being published does not always mean you are paid.

You shouldn't call yourself a "published writer" if your work has only appeared in college publications, company publications, or self-publishing markets. Well, you can call yourself whatever you want, but you aren't considered a "published writer" until you submit your work to an objective market whose eidtors consider it among other submissions and choose to take it on.

Example: My work once appeared in my college's rather selective literary magazine, but since this magazine only accepts submissions from students at the college, I don't consider that this makes me a "published writer." The national magazine that picked up my story from the hundreds of other submissions and decided to publish my story and send me check -- I consider that a real publishing credit.

Alison Cunningham

Although I published throughAuthorhouse, I consider myself a published writer. I rec'd a pretty nice check for that novel, hence I consider myself an author. I think that anyone who writes, be it magazines, online, through agents and publishers, if they have rec'd a check for their efforts, then they are a published authors or writers. Am I wrong?
    Al;ison.

Happy Soybean

Is Authorhouse a vanity press? If the market will take almost anything from anyone and publish it, then no, I wouldn't count it as a credit. Of course, you can consider yourself a published writer and call yourself a published writer. There's no "publishing credit" police. But I don't think it's a good idea to inform agents or traditional publishers/markets that you have a publishing credit, because in their eyes, you don't.

If it was as easy as a check = being published, then I could just have my best friend pay me for stories and novels and bam! I'd have a much improved writing career.

Andrew Spriggs

Well, 'publish' must include everything, be it self-"published", vanity and subsidy, and traditional. Because I include self-published authors as published, then I feel kind of guilty not including vanity/subsidy published.

HOWEVER, on my meaner days, I rationally only consider what an agent would consider as 'published' to be published. It is always safer to go by the industry standards--then, you'll seem much more intelligent in a conversation about that industry.

Sharon Brady

To me "published" means a writer is paid for their work.

Anyone can self-publish. Anyone can use a vanity press. Am I right in this?