HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Daniel Martinez

Kind of strange . . .

I was surfing the Net today, looking at books and publishing companies and the like, and I looked up my book, Queen of the Undead, which was published by Published America. Now, you would think, wouldn't you, that if a book is published by a publishing company, then they would proudly display their name on all venues, right?

At alibris.com, QU is published by Lightning Source, Ltd.

At barnesandnoble.com, it's published under America House Book Publishers.

And at amazon.com, finally, it's published un Publiish America.

I don't know. I just thought it was kind of strange. Is it the same for anyone else who's been published by PA?

-- Daniel Martinez,
    Novelist

Happy Soybean

Re: Kind of strange . . .

I have no idea. Perhaps Publish America likes to list under different names so people don't notice it's a POD/self published type thing right away?

Daniel, I offer the following comment as a gentle observation, so please don't think I'm trying to be harsh. I always find it strange that you post your name as "Daniel Martinez, Novelist" every time. Now, you can list whatever title you want after your name, and it's certainly an accomplishment to write several novels like I think you said you have, but to me this title makes you seem all puffed up and sort of pseudo intellectual. Your posts, however, never give me that sense. I'm not trying to be rude but rather give you my honest opinion because I suspect others might have noticed this, as well. Just seeing it always kind of makes me laugh.

I hope that didn't hurt your feelings. I just felt like someone should say it. But no big deal. Also, keep in mind I sometimes (obviously) open my big mouth when I should just keep it shut.

Heather Brewer

Re: Kind of strange . . .

I don't know what you're talking about, Beany.

--Heather Brewer, chocolate-lover extraordinaire

Sorry...I'm being cheeky

Daniel Martinez

Re: Happy

Actually, I was called vain, once, because I do that. I forget who did it, but it was one of the "r" people. No, Happy, you didn't offend me.

I am a very neurotic person. Being such, I tend do things a certain way every time. For some reason, even if it's just a note to my mother or fiance, I sign it with a signature, instead of just saying something like, "Love, Me." I don't know why -- it's just habit. When I was still in school, I used to write my name in the upper left-hand corner and then put my signature below that. I don't know why, it was just part of my routine way of doings things.

Now, whenever I post a message on any forum or write a letter to anyone (unless it's for International, in which case I have a different signature), I put "Daniel Martinez, Novelist," because it has become habit.

Two or three months ago, I quit my job at Jack in the Box with just enough money saved up to start International Publications and get How God Was Created out there. I hated my job, because it prevented me from writing, and prevented me from doing anything related to writing. I was tired to having no repsonse from any of the publishers I'd sent to, and I was thinking about just giving everything up altogether (sp?).

Since then, I've had a lot more going against me than for (like all you WNers, for one. But I keep plugging away, making a bit of money at a time -- just enough to help out wiht the bills. At the moment, I'm considering an author for publication, which would be a very nice change of pace -- then you won't hear me talking about my books only, but my authors' books, as well.

Anyway, it's taking time to start this whole thing up, and it's getting exasperating. Wendy, my fiance, tells me to keep going, to keep the bigger picture in sight, but sometimes it's very hard. I feel as if I don't provide enough for the household, because I bring in very little money and I spend my day plugging awya at the computer adopting HGWC into a screenplay or promoting it as a book. Wendy tells me that I do a lot more than she does because I have to figure everything out, but I still have trouble seeing the light, at times.

Signing my posts as "Daniel Martinez, Novelist," helps me to remember that I *am* doing something, even if my progress has been slow.

Funnily enough, I've actually had more people grin about the title (it's on some of my business cards, too) than take it seriously, but it works. It makes you remember me. And if you're having a bad day, and ytou see that little signature and it gets you to laugh, then you're day just got a little better, didn't it?

No, Happy, you did not offend me. I am a somewhat deranged individual, and I'm glad that you at least chuckle wehn you see it -- even if it's not *with* me.

-- Daniel Martinez,
    Novelist (hee-hee)

Daniel Martinez

Oh God, please excuse the typos. I hit enter without realizing it . . . now I'm terribly embarrassed.

Wonky

Hey! You forgot the Novelist thing.

Wonky,
    --Total Loser

Wonky

As far as I can tell, America House is just some sort of weird alias (imprint???) for Publishamerica. Both names are pretty lame if you ask me. Don't know about the Lightning thing. It may be their UK branch.

Wonky,
    --Dummy

Carol O

Lighting Source is the POD printer PA uses. AmErica House is PA's old name from a few years ago. Who knows why they still use it.

Roy Abrahams

Quite a step up......from Jack-in-the-box to Publish America.

Roy Abrahams
    aspiring novelist

Wonky

Why the hell did they capitalize the E??? That looks really silly.

Wonky
    --Just came back from taking a dump