HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding Agents

Alison Cunningham

Finding Agents

Hi All,
    I followed the advice from some of you who were kind enough to give me that advice. I sent out 60 Query letters yesterday. About four more asked me to send a query letter to them by email which at the time I thought was strage. They explained that they sort of dispensed with snail mail and that in this day and age of computers, email is faster. Since Friday, I have rec'd three positive requests from these agents to send them 2 chapters and that they were interested. I'm pleasantly surprised. Two years ago I must have sent out over 250 query letters and although they liked my material, they were not taking unpublished authors. Thus, I feel and maybe I'm wrong, that being a published author whether self-published or not, does make a difference. One of the agents whose website I visited had excellent advice in writng a Query Letter and I followed that advice. I wrote one that was brief, informative with a lot of white space showing on the page. So guys and gals, wish me luck. Any comments on this?
    Alison.

jayce

Re: Finding Agents

Congratulations on receiving such speedy requests. Before you send out material, check the agent's credentials with Preditors and Editors (the link is <http://www.sfwa.org/prededitors/> ). This could save you a lot of grief and wasted effort. Remember, if anyone asks for money up front, walk away--legitimate agents get their bread ONLY if they sell your work.

Good luck.

Alison Cunningham

Thanks Jaycee.
    None asked me for money upfront. In fact, they said that they could only make money by promoting, publishing and marketing my book. Some 10%. Some 12% some 15%
    Alison

Dave Kuzminski

Actually, P&E is now at http://anotherealm.com/prededitors and http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors because we're no longer hosted by SFWA who were kind enough to give us a home for several years when we were in need.

Dave Kuzminski, Editor
    Preditors & Editors (tm)

KJ --

Good luck, Alison. As someone who got agent representation when I was unpublished, I have to say that I don't think it's your self-published status that is proving the charm this time around. I suspect you've learned from your rejections, honed your craft, composed an effective and enticing query letter. I also believe that the market changes over the years, and that agents' perceptions of what might sell changes with it. I had a very difficult time selling my first book because it didn't fit into any category and nobody knew how to sell it. Then a niche opened in the publishing world and, all of a sudden, I had a product that worked. I still believe that skill and timing are a major part of the publishing equation, and I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep us informed!

Nickie Fleming

Gool luck, Allison! You probably did a great job in writing that query letter. Also it must be true that we can learn from our mistakes. Two years ago, when I was sending out queries, I never got a reply (except some rejections). Now that I'm doing the same thing, I get one request to send in material after another. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, for you as well as for me!!!

Nickie