HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Business Cards?

N J

Business Cards?

For all writers who have something published, whether it's in magazines, books, screenplays, etc..., do you have your own business cards for being a writer? If so, what do they say/how do they look?

James Macdonald

Re: Business Cards?

I have a business card with my name, centered, in large type.

My address, email, and phone number are in the lower left-hand corner, in smaller type.

Engraved, plain black on white, standard business card size.

Any office supply store should be able to make them up for you quite cheaply.

KJ --

I use bookmarks instead. They don't get lost as easily. I use my book cover on the front (including my name, of course) and a synopsis of the book on the back, along with my publisher, website address and ISBN. This has worked well with my first book. When my next book comes out in a few months, I plan to create a new bookmark for primary use, although I'll have the old ones on hand as well.

Lisa Burton

KJ,

That is a great idea.

James Macdonald

What do you guys do when someone asks you for your business card?

Iris

Don't have business cards because mostly I sit at home in my office and write....so rarely interact with the world and so, therefore, have no reason for business cards.......

KJ --

James - nobody ever asks me for a business card. They do, however, ask me what I DO. That's when I use my bookmarks. (Not only is it blatant self promotion, but it saves me from having to explain what I do with my time all day ... which is hard to explain even to myself sometimes!)

N J

Can't wait until I get to the point where I can make my writing my full-time occupation from home. Wouldn't THAT be dandy!

Eva Olson

Business cards are handy when you go to conferences. I list my website on my card so that I can direct people to samples of my work.

I make my own cards using Microsoft Publisher. The advantage is that I can put whatever I want on the cards, change them or add to them whenever necessary (as when I put up the website), print on both sides if I wish, and print as few or as many as I need. Since I also have a business (with a separate division that is totally different from the main business), I make all the cards for myself, my partner and my employees. Save me a ton of money and there is very little waste.

been there

KJ--

Did your publisher make them up for you?