HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sold novel

Richard Fulgham

sold novel

Hi everyone,
    I\'ve been away a long time. Just wanted to mention that I finally placed that Civil War \"nonfiction novel\" with Whitmore Publishing. Has anyone had experience with them? Their contract looks good and they even pay an advance.

Murg

Re: sold novel

Richard, that's terrific news. Congrats.

James Macdonald

How big an advance?

This looks odd on its face. No listing, positive or negative at Preditors & Editors. No books from Whitmore on Amazon more recent than 1990, and all of them are out of print.

Did someone buy a company's name and backlist?

The ads I find on the web leading to Whitmore say: "Book publisher seeking new authors. No publishing fee. We pay you."

That strikes me as an odd thing to say.

Did you research them before you submitted your manuscript?

Richard Fulgham

All I know is they're legit, not vanity nor pay for POD. I presume they've purchased the old Whitmore Publishing Co., which put out some great books, at least one made into a movie. I hope they intend to revive the old publisher's reputation. I do know they've rejected several manscripts sent in by my friends and some on this forum. So they're not taking everything. I'm not expecting a lot of promotion, either, but I didn't get much from my traditional publisher either. We'll see. I took out all the creative parts and made it into a nonfiction history book, which I think I could have placed with my first publisher. So I'm taking a chance. My gut tells me they're a good outfit. I'll keep you guys posted. The contract is good and they contracted to begin publishing procedures within 185 days. Anyone with information, please contact me at rlfulgham@hotmail.com or here at rlfulgham@writers.net.

Glen T. Brock

Richard,

I hope things work out well for you! Accept my heartfelt congratulatons!

Glen T. Brock

Franny T

Congratulations, Richard. Best of luck with this!

Lisa Burton

Congrats, that's great news!