HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Fame"?

A different Gary

"Fame"?

This question is for you precious published authors: Is there much fame to being published? Do you ever get asked to do appearances, sign autographs, speak, etc...? If so, do you have to advertise yourself or do people find you just by looking you up because they love your stuff/know what you do?

Ron Starkey

Re: "Fame"?

a-d-G,

I've got to tell you, being a published author DOES, indeed, bring some of those "fame" perks you hear about. Sometimes, it gets a little burdensome, what with fans interrupting my dinners out, forever thrusting my books at me for an autograph, and interminable questions on the deeper meaning that threads through my works. I've learned to live with the screeching and tears of excitement when recognized on the street and even the embarrassing habit of attractive women slipping notes containing their phone numbers to me on the sly, but it's not an easy life. There are times I wish I could just chuck it all and go back to a normal life, but that's the way it is with this "writer's fame" stuff. At least, until I wake up in the mornings.

Hang in there, Gary. With or without the extras, writing should be a self-fulfilling endeavor, so just keep writing for you and, if the "others" happen to occur in the future, that'll be icing on the cake.

Best of luck with your writing.

Ron

A different Gary

Oh, I do write for myself, I simply wonder what can happen after my stuff is published. I'm most interested in speaking at conferences, schools, etc... and just wondering if that is something that might pay a bill or two.

Steve

Apparently, you can get women being a writer. I, personally, don't get women, mostly because I am a hideous ogre with a horrible attitude, but friends of mine have scored by introducing me to lady friends, telling them that I am a writer and a poet, and then leaving before I say something to offend them.

Newell Helle

I am a newbe to the industry as my book Relative was recently published and released. I have not been asked for much at this time; and yes, the promotion is up to me and/or my agent. Did I achieve fame? Hardly, at this point, that was never my goal. But as an English teacher, it has given me great respect among my collegues and students.
    N. Scott Helle

C J

I get some personal recognition for my article in the paper and I would just as soon not. I get cornered in the post office or the grocery store with..

"Oh, I read your article on nyah, nyah nyah, and it was so nyah, nyah, nyah...and I get a definite idea as to why writers use pseudonyms. I sincerely hope that if I ever do publish any books that I can avoid that kind of nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to know people appreciate what you do, it can just get a little overwhelming for someone with an unobtrusive, quiet personality, and frankly, the thought of sitting at a table with a stream of perfect strangers wanting my attention, however briefly, gives me the cold sweats and the heeby jeebys.

night

nice. fame.

Pamela

I get the kind of thing CJ wrote about -- people I know recognizing that I wrote an article for the local paper, or a magazine for the niche market I write in. The biggest thrill, so far, was when I e-mailed a fellow out on the West Coast for an interview and he asked if I was the Pamela Taylor that writes for a particular ezine. Yup, that's me. Pretty cool to know someone was reading it and put me together with the article.

Pamela

Rosemarie Skaine

There isn't a whole lot of fame in publishing nonfiction books, until you have a book that hits. So it was for me when my book, _The Women of Afghanistan_ hit because of the 9/11 event in the USA. Then I had so many appearances (media, groups, college student classes, etc.) that I couldn't keep track. So, in the case of this particular book -- the topic reflected a collective consciousness -- so people found me and looked me up. Outside this book, I do not get a lot of requests. Best wishes. R