HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jack Daley

Postcards from a PA published author .

If you’d like to see a post card of Tasting the White Water let me know. These post cards are done by PA. Check out my website first, if you like what you see, email me for a postcard.You can find my wesite by typing in Jack Daley on Yahoo.

Gary Kessler

Re: Postcards from a PA published author .

So you've said before.

Jack Daley

Yea, but I think I was posting on the wrong thread. Don't mean to impose.

Jack

John Laurence Robinson

Jack, no offense, friend, but you'll find that being a PA-published author carries little to no weight here. Or anywhere, really. The few traditional houses that HAVE actually heard of PA consider them a joke or worse. But for most of those houses, PA doesn't even show up on their radar. I know whereof I speak; PA did my first novel back in May 2002, to my everlasting chagrin. Yeah, I did the "postcard" thingie, too, and, dullard that I am, didn't realize until I started getting feedback from them that the famous "friends and family" congratulations letter was nothing more than a way to crank sales. I've learned a thing or three since then, not in a little part to folks like Gary who've paid their dues. Now I can proudly say that my second novel novel was picked up by a non-POD, advance-paying, traditional publisher. My opus will in stores nationwide May 1 of this year. While I realize it'll stand or fall on its own merits, at least I won't have my publisher tripping me up.

John

javajoan

Congrats John. You must be on pins and needles. Curious, how are you handling your publicity?

Jack Daley

John

Do you have a publisher that you might suggest for my second novel?

Dave Kuzminski, Preditors and Editors

Jack, the publisher can't be selected that way. You have to look at the publisher guidelines to see what they publish. For example, if I had a romance manuscript, I wouldn't select Tor as my first choice because they're more directed toward speculative fiction. Even if the romance took place in space, I'd still look first for a publisher that specialized in romance such as Harlequin. So what I'm stating is that someone can't make a recommendation without knowing what category the work falls into.

Even then, some publishers specialize in sub-categories, particularly the smaller publishing houses. Many of the larger houses have imprints which handle sub-categories, too, so you have to check the guidelines regardless of where you submit to find a match. Interestingly enough, the only individuals who can determine whether there's a match or not are the author who is submitting and the editor who receives the submission. Of course, the editor has the final say since it's his employer who's putting up the publishing capital.

Jack Daley

Dave

Thanks for your advice.

Jack

The Late Mitchell Warren

Ya know, come to think of it, despite all of POD's and PA's ills, in the old days self-published authors never had it so easy.

Curious

John,

I cannot help but to wonder if your second novel would have ever seen the light had it not been for the first novel being published through PublishAmerica. I read up on your book, Sock Monkey Blues, and noticed it had good reviews. Didn't this exposure and encouragement in sales push you to further pursue your dreams and goals?

I am not going to praise or condemn PA, but it sounds like now that you have the "traditional publisher" contract you have forgotten the path that has gotten you there. Never forget where you came from, only learn from them.