HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Jack Jackson

"Go ahead, make my day."

I heard a terrific writer's story at a dinner party tonight, and I thought I'd share it for its writer's ego boosting value. In the course of an interview with James Patterson, author of Along Came a Spider, Patterson told of having dinner with Morgan Freeman who was starring in the movie version of Patterson's book. At one point, they were approached by actor/politician Senator Fred Thompson, Tennesee, and Clint Eastwood who were dining in the same restaurant. As they stood visiting they were approached in turn by a fan who wanted an autograph. Who's, you ask? You guessed it; Patterson's!
    To Eastwood was attributed the comment, "I've gotta have another hit movie!"
    Hang in there my friends...the world is full of strange and mysterious happenings.
    Jack J :-)

julia

Re: "Go ahead, make my day."

Yes your day was made as was James Paterson's.
    However, Clint missed the day. It wasn't the movie or the movie not being a hit.
    It was the writer of the hit movie.
    Less all the actors forget, its takes the writers to make a hit anything.
    Pictures tells part of the story but words fullfill its destiny.
    So how does it feel to be in such esteem company.
    Kudos to you for hobnobing with influential crowd.
    julia

Danielle

Jack,

I attended an author luncheon/book signing for Patterson last fall and he told the same story. Everyone had a good chuckle over that one.

Jack Jackson

Julia, for what's it's worth; I was not "hobnobbing with (an)influential crowd," but merely dining with friends, one of whom had heard the story. Of course, the words, "Go ahead, make my day," WERE written by a writer, but they were imortalized by Clint Eastwood...let's be fair and give him his due.
    It is simply an amusing anecdote, nothing more, and that is the only context in which it was offered.
    Jack

M T

That fan was obviously a very intelligent person! I've actually fantasized about the happy day when I am a wildly successful author and someone approaches me to ask if I am The Famous M.T?! I picture myself being marvelously patient and witty and helpful and gracious etc. etc.

In reality, if this scenario ever comes to pass, I'll probably be so flustered and self-conscious, I'll probably choke. After I recover from my embarrassing coughing fit, I will reach a nervously trembling hand to take the pen and paper for my autograph, and I'll drop it all on the floor, then me and my fan will slam heads as we bend simultaneously to pick it up, I'll babble hysterical apologies, and the fan will back away without my autograph, which s/he will no longer want because s/he realises I am not, after all, the admirable creature s/he had thought I was.

As I hurry out of the room, I will trip on the doormat, letting out a burst of laughter as I pretend I'm not in the least embarrassed and am actually having a wonderful time.

This scenario is actually based on real events, (except for the fan and autograph part).

Donald Lowery

Enjoyed the comments. Thank You Mr. Jackson.

Lige Turner

I LIKE THE SAYING WHIN CLINT EASTWOOD SAYING GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY WHIN PEOPLE GET TO PUSHING PEOPLE AROUNG I THINK OF DURTY HARY FAMES LINE AND THAT WHAT I TELL THIM AND IT MAKE THIM MAD BUT MAY BE DURTY HARY WOULD FEAL THE SAM WAY THAT MAYBE SOME ONE NEEDS TO MAKE MY DAY