HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: publishamerica

Dave Barker

Re: How can I break contract with them?

I'm not an attorney but if they are not fullfilling your signed contract aren't they in "breach"? If they are doing something wrong why aren't the feds looking at them?

TL Gardner

What a great debate!

I will have to throw my small opinion onto the side of PA.
    Being a PA author, I have found their services very accomidating. Considering that I am a first time author, and also considering the fact that most agents/traditional publishers, will not even look at new writers work, let alone accept them, I found PA a good risk.

And I agree, the name is Publish America, not EditAmerica... If you have a well written manuscript, get it edited. I have not put out a dime when it comes to my own manuscript, mostly because I didn't have that dime to put out. But I have my name out there, now, and I have faith in my skills as a writer.
    Yes I was disappointed by the price they set for my book, but still.... I have my five copies for free! If the only book I sell through them is one of these I sell to my mom for 5 bucks, then so be it. I have something to be happy about.

So basically, I gotta give them the credit. I am satisfied. I went in with no accolades or references, I will leave them as a published author, and it cost me nothing!

M Hardigree

I sent my story to PA and thus far they have done everything they said they would do. I need to see the cover, then it will be printed.
    I am a Senior Citizen and this is my first writing and it was in very good form when I sent it to PA. Since it is the story of my life I would not want any changes made.
    I am now thinking of another book. Does anyone have another Publisher in mind if I decided to change?

George L Hoffman

Greetings---

Yes I have had my own experiance with PublishAmerica! They promised much and were eager to publish my novel, THE CLAIBORNE INSTITUTE. It is still posted on their website but no copies have been sold in the past eighteen months. They have little or no catalogue of categories that my book appears on, and no way to steer interested buyers toward its existence. The only copies that have been sold are those I bought myself (60) and a dozen or so to my relatives or friends who were on a list they requested that I send them.I send them. Their marketing efforts were "zero" while mine were stymied by newspapers refusing to give me publicity coverage unless the book was to be found in local stores. That never happened!

The book never appeared in any of the "thousand of brick and mortar bookstores" they had so glowingly suggested were to be my outlets. The company clearly exists as a skiming opwration in which their retail listing prices are so high that their margin on even a small number of sales is profitable. Printing technologies have made it possible to print small paperback book for dollar or per copy. Don't be mislead by their fancy promises and testimonials. They are mostly hype! The money does flow from the writer to the publisher in this case.

Let me know about future developments. In these days, if a publishing offer seems too good to be true. it probably is! George L. Hoffman

Tina

Isn't that against the law? I mean all the lies P.A. has spelled out on their website. Can't we do something about it? I was promised line by line editing...books on bookstore shelves. These are lies! That is why many P.A. authors are angry. Why don't they speak the truth, then we would have known what we were getting into!

Marc Rice

Re: How can I break contract with them

Do you realize how difficult it is to be published by anyone if you're a first time author? Let me tell you it is damn near impossible. And as for providing them a list of people who know you and would probably buy one of your books? I need someone to explain to me what you feel you deserve for paying absolutely nothing? If you want to be recognized as a professional, you should act like one. True, if they are making unrealistic promises they should be held accountable. But, again, you are not established, little if any writing credentials, and would probably never be published by any house if it wasn't for PA. Stop your complaining and go back to school. That way, you won't be so disappointed when PA, by their good graces, agrees to publish your horribly written manuscript. Go ahead and break the only contract you'll ever recieve!

Joyce Ann Edmondson

I wrote a good manuscript, edited it myself, corrected it over a ten year period, and sent it to PublishAmerica who accepted it three weeks after I sent it. At the time I did not realize how much marketing I would have to do, but am finding the process fun and interesting, as I am learning so much. When I first wrote the book, I sent queries to about 25 publishing houses without any luck. Some said it was too "Protestant," some said it was too "Catholic," some said the subject was not on their agenda for the year, some said their publishing house would not be capable of printing it. None said it was bad.

I will be delighted if my friends, relatives and colleagues know about the book and have the opportunity to purchase it on line or anywhere, and I intend to visit the bookstores in my area and request them to make it available.

My husband has been in the publishing business for about 20 years. He tells me it is a standard contract and found nothing negative to say about it.

Of course PA has to make money to pay their employees, print the books, etc., etc. Why would you deny them that?

Yvonne Johnson-Pressley

I am so happy to read something positive about PA! I recently submitted a book of poetry to them. I know my works are meant to be shared with others, I pray for the world to be enlightened by my works. If this works out I will be blessed. Thank you for your comments.

Yours in Christ,
    Yvonne Johnson-Pressley

Yvonne Johnson-Pressley

I was delighted to read your message. I, like you feel that PA has given me an opportunity. May God bless and keep you. I pray that your book will be a sucess.

Yours in Christ,
    Yvonne Johnson-Pressley

Marilyn

My book "Life, Love & Asparagus" has just been published by PublishAmerica. I believe they are there to give us first time Authors an opportunity.
    You can look my book up if you go to Google and look up the name of the book.
    It is a true story of my life and I wrote it a few years ago, then after losing my husband I had to add more. I am a great grandmother so it is very exciting for me. I didn't write it to become wealthy. I wrote it in the hopes it would help others.