HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: publishamerica

Steve Talbot

publishamerica

Okay, I realize that this is probably going to hit a nerve. I would like to hear from anyone who has PERSONALLY had dealings with Publishamerica. They are offering to publish my work and I am VERY skeptical. I am only interested in contructive comments please, not from those among you who are mean-spirited and cannot resist the urge to say something that is smart-assed (and you know who you are). Thanks

A.C. Crispin

Re: publishamerica

I am not a Publish America author, but I have read their current contract, and, while better than the former version, it still, to put it into technical terms, *sucks.*

If you don't believe me, get any IP (intellectual property) attorney with publishing experience to read it.

-Ann C. Crispin

Steve Talbot

Thank you Ann for your valuable input on the subject. I can see from your web page that you are someone who knows what you are talking about! I suppose that the reason that I am so troubled by PA is the fact that they did not have the manuscript for 24 hours before they sent me an email congratulating me on my book's acceptance. I mailed it on Saturday and they responded on Tuesday morning. I think that fact was the final nail in the coffin for me with regards to PA. They could not possibly have read it and so why would they be so willing to publish it?

Another reason that I a apprehensive is that not more than a week after PA invited me to send the manuscript of my first novel, an agency (well respected one by the way) in New York wrote to me and requested to see the manuscript of my second novel, which I had finished and had begun to promote as well. And so, now I am thinking that if my work is good enough to at least get me this far I should not be dealing with PA at all. Thank you again for your valuable advice, and thanks to everyone else who might have some advice for me. I am at a time in my life and in the beginning of what I hope will be a rewarding career where I just feel alone and value any assistance that any of you are willing to give.

A.C. Crispin

Steve, definitely pursue things with this promising agent, and I wish you the best of luck.

Put PA on the back burner; you can always send them your book again and expect to receive a virtually instantaneous acceptance. You're right, they probably didn't do more than skim it (if that) before accepting it. Publish America publishes well over 50% of what they are sent. Possibly closer to 80% of what they are sent by first time submitters. This is NOT a good percentage, unfortunately, because these vanity -- or, in PA's case, vanity business model -- publishers that don't do much, if any, editorial "gatekeeping" are thus dismissed by commercial publishers instead of being regarded as a genuine publishing credential.

I'm not saying that PA doesn't publish any good books. They do. But a hard look at their list reveals far more chaff than wheat.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.sfwa.org/beware

Will Garret

Steve, you asked for responses from folks who have personal experience with Publish America (PA). My most recent title was released by PA, so thought I'd weigh in.

The first thing I worry about in this business (agents, editors, publishers, publicists, lawyers) is outright dishonesty. PA fulfilled every contractual obligation and has conducted itself in an organized manner. Their staff has been accessible and fairly entertained every suggestion and concern. I have never been billed a penny for anything (some misinformed folks stubbornly refer to PA as a vanity or subsidy press; they're not) and received my first royalty check within appropriate time frames.

Regarding the merits of the contract: I believe business contracts demand individual decisions and am leary of folks who dismiss deals out-of-hand, especially when advising others. Look PA's contract over and see if it works. You're the only one who knows what needs to be accomplished. A contract that "sucks" for some may be suitable for others. I don't want to editorialize too much, but it's fair to say that most established authors represented by legitimate agents may not like PA's standard contract. But the deal they offered was appropriate for me and the book in question. That is why I signed.

I encourage you to browse the Author's Message Board on PA's Web site (publishamerica.com). The general public can view posts on various topical forums, which offers an inside look at PA from the authors' points of view. I think that would be more beneficial for you than automatic dismissals, questionable accusations or any individual's (including my own) personal opinion.

Good luck; hope things work out well for you.

Will Garret
    The Burning Hills

Lewis

Re: publishamerica and Will

I'm a little confused by your statement that, "I have never been billed a penny for anything." I thought there is a fee attached to being published by iUniverse, PA, and the like?

Gary Kessler

Re: publishamerica and Will

No. PA's paradigm is that they pay a $1 advance and cover all the production costs. After that, they are quite similar to other POD producers (but, arguably, set their book prices higher than most others)--little or no editing, a higher than normal incidence of the wrong material between the covers and missing sections, and almost no promotion.

Still, they will correct production mistakes, and they are no worse at promotion than other POD producers who charge up front fees--and, as Will indicates, the bad aspects of their contracts only matter if they really affect what you planned to do with a book you'd been unable to get published by traditional means (or if you didn't walk into the contract with your eyes open and your research in order).

Lewis

PA and POD

So they pay royalties and do not charge anything to publish the book? I thought POD outfits were a form of vanity publishers. Thanks for the information. Looks like I need to do some digging on this topic. I'm trying to sell two novels to agents and traditional publishers and have done a lot of research on them, but not so much on POD and electronic publishers.

connybryce

Re: PA and POD

I have 3 books with PA. There will not be a 4th. I don't even think they read the books before accepting them and they sure don't edit them. Those reasons, plus the big stumbling block of the price, are the primary factors for me.Amazon has not discounted my books in past 8 months, they are all lsited at $19.95, so I don't even bother promoting any more. I never pay that for a book, so why should anyone else at my suggestion?
    But if you just want to be published, go for it. I am working on a special book now and will keep it unpublished rather than go the POD route again.

Jamie

Re: PA and POD

Ok, I had to put my two cents in on this.

I have looked at PA's website, and immediately was tipped off by the fact that they have a page dedicated to endorsements. What publishing house (POD or not) has to lure writers with testimony?

Second, I have recently found out an old college classmate of mine had been published by PA. I went and bought the book, as I was curious about what this person could write, and had a hard time locating it. PA does not put their books on store shelves, so it has to be specially ordered; Amazon.com also has their titles but you wait at least a month before hand.

When I recieved this book, I was in awe that such crap would be published by anyone. I found numerous flaws with this book, and have since decided that I would be ashamed to have my name in print by the same publisher.