HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: superstitions

Murg

Re: Hey Judy

Yes, spent lots of time in Midland. It's a prettier town than Odessa. First brand new car I ever owned I drove to Odessa to see my family. Worst dust storm of the century, and it stripped the paint on the hood down to bare metal.

Judy Greer

And the strange thing is...I love it here, wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Tell me, do you have the strange aversion to trees that I do? I go to South/Central Texas and I get claustrophobia...I hate to look up to see the sky and as you know, in Midland/Odessa it's eye level with you. Sand storms, scorching heat and all, it's home. Where are you now?

Pat Brogan

my sister lived in dallas for 15 years.. she just moved back home last month.. love dallas,,, but san antonio is my all favorite tx city... and waco too..lol

nic.h

Bad drivers

Rome, Italy. I stupidly allowed a cute Serbian-Croat refugee living in Rome (it was back in 1991: his mother was one, his father the other, and both armies wanted him so he ran from them both) convince me to sit on the back of his moped while he drove through the middle of downtown Rome on a busy Saturday night. The pavement, multiple traffic islands, and even the barrier-protected tramlines became fair game as he religiously ignored every red light and the correct side of the road to get me where we needed to go (a frigging nightclub, of course, not a hospital or the airport or anything important).

I was a young and adventurous backpacker who (please note, Judy) had little more than my one-way ticket from Australia, via Bali, to London, and a handful of addresses of distant associate Aussies to squat with. Managed to find enough work (on and off) to see a good chunk of Europe, a fair piece of SEAsia, and even a skerrick of the UK before I was forced to head home (Melbourne, Australia) 18 months later, broke, unemployed and still restless.

But then the Japan bug got me, and six months later I was living in Tokyo in questionable circumstance, just as broke, just as unemployed, but somewhat less restless. Another 18 months later I ended up in Hawaii with my now husband who I've managed to convince (for the time being) to live here in little old Melbourne with me.

I am no longer broke, currently employed and NOT EVEN A BIT RESTLESS. I have a two and a half-year old to chase away any travel bug I might rediscover.

nic.h

Judy Greer

Re: Bad drivers

Nic,
    No wonder you write with adventures like that under your belt...! I was adventurous too, got married at sixteen.
    (or maybe that's "stupid") Either way, I celebrate 26 years of marriage on the 18th, so I guess it stuck.

Pat,
    There's soooo many great towns in Texas, have you even been to the Hill Country? (Fredricksburg, Kerrville, New Braunsfel?) I too,love San Antonio, but have to say that Austin is my favorite "big" town.

Brad

Russ And Wings

Maybe you could lend your expertise to the sadsacks in the airline industry, particularly United and U.S. Airways.

Richard Fulgham

Re: Fulgham's strings

Fifty-three responses from one remark -- not bad. My ex-wife said I had a way of touching nerves on her way back to her Daddy.

Richard Fulgham

Re: Fulgham's strings

oops. Hope I didn't strike a nerve with that remark.