HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: superstitions

Richard Fulgham

superstitions

How many of you cats out there have wives or hubbys who make heaps more $ than you? I'd be on the street if I tried to live off my, ha ha, royalties. My objective is to get enough books out there to produce enough small royalty checks to make one big one. I see no other way. Writing a bestseller seems like wanting to be a movie star. Anybody agree? Any alternative ideas?

Russ Still

Re: superstitions

I'm with you, Richard. I subsidize my royalty and direct sales checks with a job as a flight instructor. My wife's biz is the one that keeps us afloat. - Russ

Bob Kellogg

Russ, I've always wanted to fly.

Teach me.

What? Airplanes?

Rats!

Bob k.

Russ Still

Re: Russ, I've always wanted to fly.

No prob, Bob. Come on down to Atlanta and we'll get started tomorrow. Skydiving, too, if you want to really round out your world.

- Russ
    www.russellstill.com

Gary Kessler

Or flatten your nose.

Russ Still

Hehehe... Yes, Gary, certain types of people should realize that their proper place is terra firma. The sky isn't for everyone.
    - Russ

Pamela Taylor

I agree, writing a bestseller is like trying to be a big time movie star, only there's probably more competition.

Pamela

Liz

Re: Taking chances

BUT...if you don't try, you have ZERO chance. Remember the Wayne Gretzky quote about taking shots.

And Richard, a small-time agent I once toook a class with said that the "sexy" stuff doesn't pay the bills. It's the boooooring stuff that pays the bills. Like writing for corps. Which I do. At least it's still writing!

Richard Fulgham

Re: Taking chances

Hi Liz,
    Thanks for the response. Believe me, I'm trying to write a best seller! But it's my limited ciruclation books that pay the bills. Sigh . . . .

Bob Kellogg

Writing for corpses

Liz, since I haven't been able to get a programming contract for over a year, I've made a few stabs at tech writing positions. Just as unlikely.

Bob K.