HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lura

author/illustrator contract

Does anybody know of any resources where I could find a sample contract for the agreement between an author and an illustrator?

Thanks!

Picture Book

Re: author/illustrator contract

Will look for you. Are you and an author or illustrator going to submit something jointly?

Difficult. But, do have seperate contracts with the publisher. One author/publisher contract, one illustrator/publisher contract, even if it is for one book.

It might be good to agree that if the house wants the MS, but not the illustrations, or if the house wants to take you on as one of their illustrators, but hates the MS....then you'd both be free, with no hard feelings, to accept it that way if it happens. (And it does!)

An agent can help here if you really want one or can land a good one.

Lura

Thanks! I've been the agent/publisher route, and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. My books are aimed at ages 0-4, and it just doesn't seem as though there is much interest out there for that age group. My illustrator and I are going to self-publish, so the contract will outline the agreement between us.

Liz

And I was going to say, ask PB, but she's already here. (Hey there, P.)

Glen T. Brock

anything out there?

PictureBook,

Many years ago, before I was distracted by other things, I did alot of illustration for fanzines. Got to be in demand, so to speak, too. My training, origionally, was in advertising. My question is, with the advent of PODs and cyber books, is there a market for illustrators out there? If so, how closed is the shop? I'm curious.

Picture Book

Re: anything out there?

Glen

Not sure what you are asking...are you asking about you illustrating for cyber books, ezines, self published POD's or whatever?? If so, there is a demand for it, but the pay is peanuts, I think.....Unless you are jointly responsible, in partnership with an author and the POD book is a huge success.

Traditional route, non-net : A lot of authors would ask you to illustrate their book, but few would want to pay upfront. (Plus, publishers like to choose the illustrators) I have had offers in the past like 'if you illustrate my book, I can't afford to pay you, but you would get excellent exposure after it is published!' They didn't even want to offer a share of royalties!

Hope you can make some sense of the waffle above!

Glen T. Brock

Picture Book,

Your answer is more than satisfactory. I knew that mass market have work for hire artists, usually in house. My work is strictly amateur, but with the new grouth of nouveau presses who knows? It doesn't hurt to ask.

Picture Book

Glen

Why don't you get an online portfolio together and do some email queries? Kirschoff/Wohlberg have artists, but they also keep a file of outsiders for styles they can't offer or when they have too much work, for example.

I sent them my URL and they asked for hard copies. I haven't got round to sending them anything yet, because I'm not sure, even after getting this 'bite' that I want to do 'work for hire.' (I have my mind on other stuff right now!)

Go see if it's of interest to you.

PS *Never* put dates on your work.

Lura

Also, definitely make it to some of the conferences. I attended the Rocky Mountain chapter of the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators), and the quality of the illustrators there was impressive. There weren't that many, so each of them got a lot of exposure. I hooked up with the lady who is illustrating my children's books there. And, it's good to see what other illustrators have to offer. Definitely a good experience.

Lura

Picture Book

I'll be going to some next year, Lura. I heard it was a great place to make yourself 'known.' I'm in the St Louis chapter.