HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    keith miller

Title

Oh yeah nic, the title...My original title was The Country of Sorrows is the Size of the Heart, which I felt was extraordinarily moving and catchy. It was also extraordinarily long. My agent suggested lopping it to The Country of Sorrows, but I wasn't overly happy with that, and my editor suggested searching for a new one. Perhaps she felt it was too descriptive of the mood in the US. I don't know. Anyway, after much floundering, we've decided on The Book of Flying.

Book tours. I'm not doing any of that stuff. No way.

Debra--the Proulx book you read was probably The Shipping News. Well written, struggled for a story-line. You're deeply confused about All the Pretty Horses, but that's all right, I'll still be your friend.

Debra

Re: Title

Keith,

Very big congratulations on your success, by the way. I'm rewriting for an editor at a publishing house right now. Among other things, she wants me to change my 5 word title to something a lot LONGER. Different strokes for different folks again, eh? Speaking of which, I think some of Stephen King's short stories are wonderful. And I'll still be your friend too.

And Nic,

I LOVE Hemingway. Maybe because my writing style is spare, rather than flowery (she says arrogantly, trying to compare herself to Hemingway). I like T. Morrison, but sometimes find it hard to "suspend my disbelief."

You guys would love my aunt. We've been in the same book club for 10 years and almost always have opposing opinions on the books.

Kristy

Re: Title

I also loved The Corrections, though it took me a few chapters to get into it. I read We Were the Mulvaneys right after it, and frankly, I couldn't finish it. I haven't read any more Oates and that book sure didn't make me want to.

On Writing is inspirational. I confess to being a King fan, but the writing book is simple, straight talk. No pretension whatsoever. Just finished my second novel and every time I got blocked on my first or second one, I picked it up and read it again. Went right back to writing. It's worth buying and that's from a VERY heavy believer in borrowing from the library.

nic.h

the problem with this conversation...

Is i could go on ALL DAY. I would love for my life to be entirely composed of reading and writing fiction, then discussing both things with other like-minded people. Online. in person. Who cares? Would that I could earn a living like that...

Instead, I earn an almost living reading academic theses and manifestos in what borders on being a vanity press for some influential people... Not quite, but almost. And as for my earnings from writing, well, needless to say, if I didn't have any other income, I could safely and legitemately avoid paying tax every financial year...

Oh well, back to the grindstone. Thanks for the brief break from reality guys!

BTW, Keith: I like "the book of flying" - more subtle, I think.

nic.h