HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Brian Malloy

Don't Quit Your Day Job!

We hear that a lot as writers. So I'd like to post an informal, highly unscientific poll: What's your day job?

I've heard that a lot of writers work in the nonprofit field or are lawyers. I fall into the former, as a grants writer for a Minnesota nonprofit arts organization.

What do other folks do to keep a roof over your head and food on the table?

Regards,

Brian Malloy

Valerie Moreau

Re: Don't Quit Your Day Job!

well, right now it isn't keeping a roof over my head, I'm looking for another job, but I currently work as a cook in a hotel, but with tourism being what it is in Florida right now, I'm not getting enough hours to pay my bills. So its off to find another position that doesn't depend on people traveling at this time.

C. Van Vleet

I'm married to a supportive man with a great job, so writing IS what I do during the day - when I'm not mothering three kids that is! In my former life, I was a teacher (definitely falls under non-profit, don't you think?)

Great question!

Steve

I think you already know this, Brian, but I work for a non-profit psychoanalytic/psychotherapeutic training institute and membership society. It's not half as interesting as my old jobs, but it pays much better (it's a non-profit... just imagine how poor I USED to be!) and gives me more time to write.

Steve

Rich

I'm an over-paid technical writer. It's extremely boring and short on gratification, but on the positive side it pays well and doesn't expend any of my creative energy.

Hopeful in NC

I'm an underpaid Planning Manager for an electronics manufacturing plant.

Rich:

How do I get your job.

Louise

I'm a copywriter for the BBC in London (musn't grumble!), although I shall be moving to NYC next April. I'll continue to work for the BBC in America if I'm unsuccessful with my graduate MFA applications.

Steve

MFA Programs

Louise,

I'm hoping to go back for an MFA in the Fall myself. Glutton for punishment that I am (actually, I love teaching, and I'm going as much for that possibility and the chance to be surrounded by writers as for the instruction). Where are you applying?

Steve

Brian Malloy

Re: MFA Programs

Mothering three kids falls into both the nonprofit and the (more than) full-time job categories.

I really enjoy the BBC myself.

I've been checking out the Iowa Writers Workshop. It looks wonderful. Has anyone attended the summer program or received their MFA from Iowa?

Regards,

Brian Malloy

Louise

Re: MFA Programs

I'll be applying for NYU and Columbia. I'm an English Literature graduate with a couple of years writing experience at the BBC now, so hopefully that’ll stand me in good stead (although I’m nervous as hell at the moment and running all the usual ‘Am I good enough?’ scenarios through my head).

Brian - go for it!

Steve, where are you going to be studying?