HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nils Ljungberg

"Jungle Fever" Novels

Dear anyone interested,

I am trying to market a novel that involves the theme of "Jungle Fever," or black-and-white, biracial love. I'm looking for some recent titles with which to compare my novel, which involves a passionate love affair between a teenage black girl and a white boy.

Is anyone familiar with some recent titles of this sort? If so, can you direct me toward any book reviews?

Thanks a million,

Nils Ljungberg

RBSA

Re: "Jungle Fever" Novels

Nils -- several movies have recently addressed this theme, such as "O" (at theatres now in the US) and "Save the Last Dance" (now on video) . . . oddly, both starring the same girl. I do question the genre title -- "jungle fever" might not sell too well to agents and editors who have lived in the real world -- post 1950.

RBSA

Mike Flashner

Nils,

I have to go along with RBSA.

Your title will make people assume this tale takes place in Africa,South America, or South east Asia.

Mike Flashner

Steve

Mike (and Nils),

More importantly than misunderstanding the term "Jungle Fever", any agent or publisher who did understand it would most likely be offended by the use of such a racist, outdated phrase and Nil's submission would be tossed without a look. It's one thing for Spike Lee to call a film Jungle Fever with full awareness of the irony and loaded meanings of the term; it's quite another to use it as a genre heading.

Steve

Nils Ljungberg

Thanks, guys, for your input to the question of "Jungle Fever." I have decided to go with "Biracial Romance," which is the key marketing term for this type of book, at least from what i picked up surfing the net.

I'll keep the post going regarding the success of this--the fact that a small pressed gave me a hand-written reply beginning "Very interesting..." is the first of a series of small victories on the road to eventual publication.

Nils

Mary M.

Why does there have to be a racial implication in the title?

Valerie Moreau

besides agreeing with Mary about having a title that states the biracial difference in the book. I would suggest you check out Nora Roberts. She wrote one, which the name of it I can't recall. However she waited until you were nearly halfway through the book to mention that the lead male character was black. Feeling she handled it wrong I put the book down and didn't finish it. I would have perferred knowing right off. It made me wonder is she were trying to hide something from her readers.

Mitch Redden

You're going to call it Bi-Racial Romance? Come on Niles or Nils or whatever, surely you can do better than that! That is so not with it! I hope the book is a hell of a lot better than the title or you're cooked.

Kaz

Just give it a normal, but appealing title. Forget about the racial aspect of it. This is the twenty-first century. Interacial relationships and marriages are not that uncommon anymore. Hype it as a Romance novel, and as Valorie said, let the readers discover it is an interracial couple. Good luck with it. Kaz

Eric Gilmartin

I really, realy, really hate this term and wish it would die out. I have dated women not of my own race, and we were no where near a damn jungle...unless you count a city as being one.